Folding Dive Knife

Maybe a Spyderco Military. For sure, a large folder with a large hole, or an automatic (where legal). Not sure how corrosive resitant the 440V is.

I much prefer a fixed blade in a quick sheath, i.e. kydex, in a rust resistant steel, like 440A.

With neoprene gloves and cold hands, tidal surge, etc , etc, a folder may be too slow , and easy to drop while opening.

I agree with Ron, I am in favour of the ease of a fixed blade for diving. If you are in the Bahamas, a folder may be fine, but here in the Indiana quarries, 1/4" gloves are necessary a good bit of the year.

That being said, I carry a fully serrated Delica on a D-Ring to back-up my UK Fusilier.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
cdfleischer@yahoo.com

"10,000 Lemmings Can't Be Wrong!"

I have to agree with the fixed blade as first choice. But in addition or for backup I think Spyderco had the right idea a couple of years ago with their Probe. You can have a blade made of good blade steel and a handle (read prybar, hammer etc.) made of the proper steel for that. I've got one and I really like it but I've never dived with it---I don't scuba just some occassional snorkeling and there is no place to hang it on a pair of swimtrunks unless you want to do a Slick Willie and have them around your ankles! On the bright side, with the probe you could leave your weight belt home. As far as corrosion resistance I've heard good things about the Sentry marine Tuff cloth. Has anybody used it and does it work?

phantom4

Tuf-Cloth is excellent! The Marine variety would be the best for diving (duh!), though it is almost too much for daily use.

There have been some good posts on the Spydie Probe here on BF. There is a possibility it will be back. I would love one, but it depends on price.

That's the other thing about dive knives -- I wouldn't want to spend too much on one because they are too easy to lose!

As always, YMMV...

------------------
Clay Fleischer
cdfleischer@yahoo.com

"10,000 Lemmings Can't Be Wrong!"

Back