Folding Machete

Hi Jeff and Mike,

I had posted this for RYPs consideration on DPx, but he promotes buying in country and not carrying a trusted tool. I can see both sides but I like to be familiar and used to sharp things I am using. Soooo:

How about a folding machete to round out the knife range. This could use the locking mechanism that is in the LionSteel folder. The best design was done by the Airforce in WWII as the Folding Survival Machete using an Indonesian Kwalang style with a rounded handle that lets the knife do the work with a quick wrist action from the user.
This folding design would follow RYPs minimalist packing style and would not look so scary that customs sighting it would immediately bring on the latex gloves.....

post-56-1196186478.jpg

(Pic curtesy of usmilitariaforum.com)
ph-0.jpg

I use mine and have taken it across some scary borders without a hick-up so I can vouch for the design.

So how about it ?

Why would I want a pre-broke machete? Unless a machete throwing trend has started back up. That would make good use of the broken machetes. Then you could resell them for twice as much.

Why would anyone want any folder ? BECAUSE ITS SMALLER.... And in the case of a machete this is a real concern when packing for travel.

Why would anyone want any folder ? BECAUSE ITS SMALLER.... And in the case of a machete this is a real concern when packing for travel.

I have never thought while packing a machete, "gee, this is too big, I wish it folded". Folders are not meant to be used for chopping, batoning, etc. So making a folding machete defeats the entire purpose of owning the machete in the first place.

I am sure that the Airforce pilots who crashed and made it out alive from the jungles of SE Asia because of this very tool dont share your view. There is a place and time for everything.
If you dont think this is a good idea fine, you have shared and will stay unconvinced - maybe you should find another thread to not agree with.

I am sure that the Airforce pilots who crashed and made it out alive from the jungles of SE Asia because of this very tool dont share your view. There is a place and time for everything.

i would be interested in a source for this. thanks.

If you dont think this is a good idea fine, you have shared and will stay unconvinced - maybe you should find another thread to not agree with.

maybe you should try cold steel next. Lynn likes wierd knives and I am sure would market it as "the best machete ever created and the strongest locking mechanism in the known universe."

You asked for an opinion, now you are getting snippy because people aren't jumping on the weakest link machete. You have obviously put great thought into this (such as I have) and will never be convinced it's a bad idea (even though every response in both threads you started say that it is). Why not design one yourself and approach some knifemakers about making one for you?

cukros1, the idea is not necessarily a bad one. The major problem and the reason that they are probably not popular today has to do with the strength of the machete.

The folding mechanism creates a weak point and there is no way that a folder could be as strong as a continuous piece of metal (fixed blade).

But keep at it and good luck

Last edited:
I see what you mean, but when I go out I expect a machete to be big and either attach to belt or my pack.

I think what you are talking about would be useful for someone country-hopping or going around doing shady gov't stuff. That is a very small niche, but some people might like the concept. I think that it would increase the cost of the machete to where it made it a bad business decision to produce, since a folding mechanism strong enough for a machete can't be easy or cheap to make.

To be honest I chuckled when I saw the name of this thread and was then astonished to see you had pics of one that had been made before. ESEE's products tend to favor the side of reliability and simplicity. I can't imagine how this could fall into either of those categories.

Thank you for your comments and questions. here is some more history: the CAMILLUS military issue folding machete. This item was made during WW2 for pilot's survival kits in the pacific theater. A total of 121,848 were produced by CAMILLUS. Mention of this knife is made by Dexter Ewing in an article he prepared about the history of CAMILLUS.....

http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/History/Camillus History.pdf

An article [with better pics!] is in a 2001 issue of KNIVES ILLUSTRATED.

Case and Imperial also made these so a quarter million could have been made all the way past the war. Could the Government waste money on any useless item ? No need to answer....

And I did ask a knife maker to think about making this - that is the point of the thread

Last edited:
Case has considered the idea of doing a limited commemorative run of them, as they were one of the handful of companies that manufactured them for the war effort back in the day. For now I'd say go with the CS Espada in the new G10 version. Just sand down that G10 so it's not a blister machine.

Thank you for the info. I should have come to you first if I knew.

As for the question of the the authenticity of my earlier comments by Ms La

"Quote:
Originally Posted by cukros1
I am sure that the Airforce pilots who crashed and made it out alive from the jungles of SE Asia because of this very tool dont share your view. There is a place and time for everything."
Posted by La
i would be interested in a source for this. thanks.

Please read http://airwarworldwar2.wordpress.com/ from the International Historical Research Associates about World War II Pacific Air stories.

Most would. :D

However, there are countless well-used folding machetes still left after being beaten to hell and back since the end of the war. Guess the design held up pretty ok! Ugly thing, though.

Poor OP is getting railed on his new product ideas, man you guys are ruthless. :D

With that said, I think I'd just for for a 14" machete or a knife the same size as that contraption. Interesting though.

To be honest I chuckled when I saw the name of this thread and was then astonished to see you had pics of one that had been made before. ESEE's products tend to favor the side of reliability and simplicity. I can't imagine how this could fall into either of those categories.

That just about sums it up... perfectly. :thumbup:

Interesting man. Can't say I'd want one though. If I was a fighter pilot in WWII, maybe I wouldn't mind having one in my E&E kit, but fact is I'm not. It sounds like this may have been accomplished somewhat effectively. To be honest it sounds like a coupling of two good things, (folding mechanisms and machetes) to make one not so good item. Kinda like submarines and screen doors. Each is great, but together... not so much. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

God bless,
Adam

Last edited:
I really hope Jeff answers this one. :D

I'd be interested to hear his response to this or the custom Izula II with a satin/mirror polished blade, glow in the dark orange handles with a compass and firerod embedded into the sheath.

Back