1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food saver for wet forming?

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Maelstrom78, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78

Sep 21, 2013
    Would it be crazy to try a vacuum food saver machine for wet forming? Maybe if the plastic got wrinkled it could transfer to the leather.

Anyone ever try it?

2. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    Seen it a few times here and there. Watched a holster maker vacuum form his stuff. But. It does leave a pattern from certain types of vacuum form bags. Secondly it works really well on really thin leather, say 6 oz or less but thicker leathers seem to resist it. I does look like fun as you can use your bone folder to force the deeper lines and recesses, but at that point, well, whats the point, the good bags aint cheap.

3. E.Carlson

E.Carlson Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I do it all the time. The bags do leave a pattern on one side, it mostly fades by the time the sheath is done. I make sure the pattern is on the back, leave it sealed for about 20 minutes, pull it out and hit it with a heat gun quickly to kinda lock in the shape.