Food & Traditional Knives

@JackBlack : Blanc-manger is a typical Lent dish, blanc because (at the beginning) made of white almonds, rice and milk. It is still quite popular here and even more under the Italian rendition: Pannacotta. 😺
Thanks for the info Alain. I've never had Pannacotta, but I'm sure it's served in restaurants here where they would never serve blancmange! 🤣👍

MNEN1U.jpg

You have a good memory Gary! :D I only ever had it coloured, but my father reckoned it was traditionally white. We used to have a pink blancmange bunny on a 'bed' of green jelly (jello) :D It's one of the austerity foods, from WW2, that has disappeared, and is probably unmourned by most ;)

It seems that some of my assumptions about blancmange may have made an ass out of me! :D It appears to be a less parochial dish than I imagined, and still popular with some it seems! :rolleyes:
@JackBlack : Blanc-manger is a typical Lent dish, blanc because (at the beginning) made of white almonds, rice and milk. It is still quite popular here and even more under the Italian rendition: Pannacotta. 😺
Thanks for the additional info about blancmange, JB & JP. :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I've decided the closest I've come to eating blancmange might be Jello made with whipped cream that we used to have occasionally when I was a kid.

Leftover Chinese take-out for lunch today.

P4J0NQs.jpeg
Gary, since last Saturday I've been enjoying leftover Thai takeout at least once a day; it looks remarkably like your Chinese leftovers! 🤓 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Made One pot beef stew, as per the wife's request😄 forgot to take pic before dishing😯
View attachment 1796497
That looks perfect for a 30˚F April day!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::p

- GT

Pie and a pint in The Fat Cat in Sheffield :thumbsup:

J9P0mqF.jpg
That Potatoes/Peas/Pie plate looks great, Jack; deserves one of GEC's PPP etches (maybe even an extra P for the pint)! :thumbsup::thumbsup: 😁

That looks really tasty Gary :) Great-looking #72 too, I always think it looks like a really useful knife :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment on my "egg stuff", Jack; I should make it more often because I think it's delicious and nutritious. :) Functionally and nutritionally, I think it's equivalent to a "garden omelet", but I have no omelet-building skills, so I just mix all the ingredients into the eggs, cook it in a pan until it's firm enough to flip, and then add the cheese on top while I brown the second side. I usually cut it in half to get 2 servings, typically eaten with beans, and toast with jelly.
I agree, the GEC 72 is a good-sized, pleasant-to-use knife; I'm a big fan of a drop point blade. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

That Potatoes/Peas/Pie plate looks great, Jack; deserves one of GEC's PPP etches (maybe even an extra P for the pint)! :thumbsup::thumbsup: 😁
🤣 :thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment on my "egg stuff", Jack; I should make it more often because I think it's delicious and nutritious. :) Functionally and nutritionally, I think it's equivalent to a "garden omelet", but I have no omelet-building skills, so I just mix all the ingredients into the eggs, cook it in a pan until it's firm enough to flip, and then add the cheese on top while I brown the second side. I usually cut it in half to get 2 servings, typically eaten with beans, and toast with jelly.
I agree, the GEC 72 is a good-sized, pleasant-to-use knife; I'm a big fan of a drop point blade. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT
I also like a drop-point blade Gary :cool: I used to regularly make omelettes/Spanish tortilla with bacon, onions, and potatoes (maybe a few peppers), eggs, and cheese. When it was firm, I'd put it under the grill, let it rise a little as it cooked, add grated cheese, and brown it :)

Gary, since last Saturday I've been enjoying leftover Thai takeout at least once a day; it looks remarkably like your Chinese leftovers! 🤓 :thumbsup::thumbsup:
We've got a great Chinese takeout that we've been patrons of for 30+ years. I call to place the order, they say "10 minutes", I get in my car and pick it up. It just couldn't be much easier. From "let's do Chinese takeout🥢 " to sitting down to eat, less than 30 minutes! :)

I can personally profess that the pie, potatoes, peas and pints at that particular pub are perfectly palatable. 😉

OfoWUH7.jpg

Photographed here with a PPP TC Barlow, of
course. 🤣

ABFkxAQ.jpg
Peerless post, pal!!! 😁 :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

I can personally profess that the pie, potatoes, peas and pints at that particular pub are perfectly palatable. 😉

OfoWUH7.jpg

Photographed here with a PPP TC Barlow, of
course. 🤣

ABFkxAQ.jpg
Happy days! 🙂👍

Back