Footwear for mowing grass.

Grizz...sandals?!?!
Back when I worked construction, I'd go thru a pair of 8" boots in about a year and then retire them to the lawn and garden. Well, no more construction and the search continues.
The 511's were nice but not wide enough.
Dandan, are those the same idiots wearing flip flops and tank tops on motorcycles?

Like this guy?

RIP Indian Larry...

8352fddad30e804523af468a41ee8e35.jpg

Grizz...sandals?!?!
Back when I worked construction, I'd go thru a pair of 8" boots in about a year and then retire them to the lawn and garden. Well, no more construction and the search continues.
The 511's were nice but not wide enough.
Dandan, are those the same idiots wearing flip flops and tank tops on motorcycles?

In my feeble defense, these are hiking sandals. It's a thick lugged Vibram sole with straps to keep it firmly attached to the bottom of your foot. Not flip flops. The sandals provide better footing and traction than any tennis shoes or moccasins, and are right there with hiking boots. Obviously there is no protection for the top of your foot.

Grizz

In my feeble defense, these are hiking sandals. It's a thick lugged Vibram sole with straps to keep it firmly attached to the bottom of your foot. Not flip flops. The sandals provide better footing and traction than any tennis shoes or moccasins, and are right there with hiking boots. Obviously there is no protection for the top of your foot.

Grizz
Cool. I guess as long as the grass is dry and you don't have any hills to up and down on...

I had a pair of baseball cleats I wore for a long time to avoid slipping on the sloped parts of the yard. When I was a child my Dad wore golf cleats when he did the yard and I got the idea from him. The weed trimmer beat up my cleats pretty badly over the years. Ordered a cheap pair of "jungle boots" which have the deep military tread and am trying them out. They work well at the start but my feet start to slip around in them as I get towards the tail end of the mowing. Guessing the socks are getting wet enough to cause the slipping inside the boot.

Uncle Timbo -Thanks

These people are not males( normally). Yes tank tops are worn , with skimpy shorts. Nice to look at , but I dont stare.
Some are kids.
Imagine a hit with a stone or pebble??.
These people have a vote , and breed!!

It takes all sorts , check out the ER in summer in big cities...( I said BIG Cities)

For lawn mowing, I wear Lacrosse Muddies which are rubber. Got tired of grass stains on my tennies. My only issue with them is that they don't offer much or any ankle support. I actually own two pairs.... one pair stays in my pickup for photo journeys where I am tramping around in wet grass or leaves in the early morning. The ankle support issue is bothersome at times on uneven ground. I don't want to twist any ankles.

Steel toe (or composite) are worth their weight IMHO. I have had small rocks smack my toes in normal hiking boots and they really hurt, almost as bad as a rock in the adam's apple riding my motorcycle.

In terms of safety, if you have a mental lapse they could be the thing that keeps your toes attached to your foot. I also wear chainsaw chaps when I run it and a welders leather apron when I use the string trimmer.

To take this one step further in a different direction, I heard somewhere about somebody running a mower and hit a piece of a clothes hanger
A piece of that was thrown into the neighbor kids direction and that piece penetrated her heart and she died.
Moral to the story?
Mowers are dangerous for those mowing and those nearby. Get the kids in the house until done.
BTW, I decided to use my old Merrill ventilators to mow in until I can find some good, inexpensive boots.
Hey, they're better than tennies. :)

Back