1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Sale: "Deschain" Dagger. Mosaic steel, wire wrap fluted handle. SPF.

Discussion in 'Promethean Knives by Salem Straub' started by Salem Straub, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Salem Straub

Salem Straub

Oct 20, 2008
    Here is the “Deschain Dagger,” my latest work - a renaissance - style quillon dagger in a mostly modern materials scheme. It is constructed as a takedown, an option which I have left open after some deliberation. I do recommend it be taken down only to permit maintenance or repair.

The blade is forged from 1080/15n20 in a pattern I call “rose rolls,” a permutation of the common jellyroll which I believe to be my own invention. It features a 4” double hollow grind. The fittings are forged and turned from standard “w” pattern steel, with small bronze spacers for the guard lugs. I took inspiration from chess pieces for the fittings forms, echoing bishops and crowns. I like the archaic feel this gives.

The handle is constructed of a carved spiral-fluted walnut core, with a conformed wrap of herringbone-twist iron wire. The iron wrap is terminated by collars of Turk's-head knots, tied in twisted copper wire in a 3-lay, 7-bight conformation.

The name refers to Roland of Gilead, the main protagonist of the Dark Tower novels.
    This is a light and lively blade in the hand, and represents one of my most involved projects to date.

Specs are:
    Total length, 16.25”
    Blade length, 9.25”
    Blade width, .875”
    Blade thickness at ricasso, .240”
    Guard width, 3.625”
    Point of balance, +/- 3/4” in front of guard
    Overall weight, 9.5 oz.

I am asking $1500 USD for this piece, plus shipping. I will ship internationally. NOW SOLD PENDING FUNDS.

Pics and a vid! Thanks for looking.

[youtube]rpxZ3lHxxqY[/youtube]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]