1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Sale: "Deschain" Dagger. Mosaic steel, wire wrap fluted handle. SPF.

Discussion in 'Promethean Knives by Salem Straub' started by Salem Straub, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    Here is the “Deschain Dagger,” my latest work - a renaissance - style quillon dagger in a mostly modern materials scheme. It is constructed as a takedown, an option which I have left open after some deliberation. I do recommend it be taken down only to permit maintenance or repair.

The blade is forged from 1080/15n20 in a pattern I call “rose rolls,” a permutation of the common jellyroll which I believe to be my own invention. It features a 4” double hollow grind. The fittings are forged and turned from standard “w” pattern steel, with small bronze spacers for the guard lugs. I took inspiration from chess pieces for the fittings forms, echoing bishops and crowns. I like the archaic feel this gives.

The handle is constructed of a carved spiral-fluted walnut core, with a conformed wrap of herringbone-twist iron wire. The iron wrap is terminated by collars of Turk's-head knots, tied in twisted copper wire in a 3-lay, 7-bight conformation.

The name refers to Roland of Gilead, the main protagonist of the Dark Tower novels.
    This is a light and lively blade in the hand, and represents one of my most involved projects to date.

Specs are:
    Total length, 16.25”
    Blade length, 9.25”
    Blade width, .875”
    Blade thickness at ricasso, .240”
    Guard width, 3.625”
    Point of balance, +/- 3/4” in front of guard
    Overall weight, 9.5 oz.

I am asking $1500 USD for this piece, plus shipping. I will ship internationally. NOW SOLD PENDING FUNDS.

Pics and a vid! Thanks for looking.

[youtube]rpxZ3lHxxqY[/youtube]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]