For the Doctor's in the House

Here a couple of knives in a new pattern for me - Doctor's knives. I hope you all like them.

First one with Brown Jigged Bone spear point blade and spatula. Mirror imaged vine filework on the springs.

brndoctor.jpg

brndoctor2.jpg

The other is Antique Green Jigged Bone a spear point and pen blade. Filework on the springs is parrallel and changes directions at the center pen.

grndoctor.jpg

grndoctor2.jpg

All blades and springs are ATS-34. Stainless Steel liners, bolsters, oval escutcheon, and pins. They are 3 3/4 inches closed and about 6 7/8 inches opened.

Let me know what you think.

:D

Bastid wants both of them, but he better leave one for nifrand.

Those are stunning! I especially love the Dr. pattern with the spatula. You just gotta have it. These are two fine looking knives, and since I just happen to be a Veterinarian...... (a poor one at that).... maybe someone will feel sorry for me and donate one of these!;) :D
Nice job, and keep 'em coming!
Mongo

They are both great, but the blade selection and green jigged bone on the second one makes it my favorite. That filework on both knives is fantastic.

The filework on those knives are awesome! I just picked up some files to try my hand at a little filework myself.

What is the history of calling that style of knife a Doctors knife?

Master Quality work there sir !
Love the filework , those would be a welcome addition to anyones collection. B E A U T I F U L ! Thanks for sharing .:eek:

Originally posted by FivePointOhh
The filework on those knives are awesome! I just picked up some files to try my hand at a little filework myself.

What is the history of calling that style of knife a Doctors knife?

Greetings 5point, someone here may help me out, but as I understand it, the pattern was used by Doctors in the past... the kind that made housecalls. The flat end would be used to crush pills, the spatula to count pills and move powders, the spear point blade could even be used as a scalpel in a pinch... not to mention any other cutting chore.
Along with the stockman, the spatula Dr. pattern is my favorite slippie. These are lovely!

Bastid got one and was tempted to get both, figured he might loose a friend if he did. :D

added later.
Mongo had a great blurb on the use of the pattern. All I can add is that medicines used to come in small glass bottles with narrow necks which is why the blades are long and narrow for scooping. In those days doctors patterns and whittlers represented the best of the best (in general) of multiblades in production.

Mongo, thanks for the welcome and the info!
Fortunatly, I'm old enough to remember Doctors making house calls with their little black bags. :) Remember tube testers? LOL

Originally posted by Mongo
Greetings 5point, someone here may help me out, but as I understand it, the pattern was used by Doctors in the past... the kind that made housecalls. The flat end would be used to crush pills, the spatula to count pills and move powders, the spear point blade could even be used as a scalpel in a pinch... not to mention any other cutting chore.
Along with the stockman, the spatula Dr. pattern is my favorite slippie. These are lovely!

Ol' granny must be gettin' old.Let you wippersnappers get to it first.:(

Thanks everyone for looking and the nice comments.

I especially appreciate the support from Gus and Jeremy.:D I hope the knives make your new years a little better.

Somewhere on my workbench I think I see the begining of another spatula and blade. So maybe there will be another assistance for the doctor in the near future. ;) If all goes well, that is.

Again thanks to all for looking and commenting.

Hope you all have a blessed, safe and happy new year.

Regards

Really some outstanding filing on those...(both)!!! Thanks for the pictures...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Just picked up the one with the spatula at the P.O. this morning.
This is my second knife from Tony and all I can say is wow.
For a maker who has been at it for such a short time, I am even more impressed. To top it off talking with Tony is nothing short of a pleasure and I look forward to meeting him in the near future.

This knife compares very well with the others in my collection. The fit and finish is top shelf and the action on both blades is crisp and smooth to the half-stop and full open positions with no play. The intricate filework looks even better in person.

Beautiful Tony!

A while ago I told my beautiful fiancee that there was a doctor's knife, and I showed her a pic of a yellow handled case version. She was impressed (she's at the University taking Nursing). The ones with spatulas are the best! And that top pic looks like a supreme example of that style.

Yellow handled ya say. Hum I still have one that I have been meaning to send to someone as a gift :eek:

Back