1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Photos For the love of Lockbacks! (Traditionals only)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Misplaced Hillbilly, Sep 30, 2018.

1. dcpritch

dcpritch Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    I posted some pics of this knife in the canoe thread but this knife also belongs here. Joe Kious rams horn canoe lockback, with a bit of fancy file work. 5C1458BA-BE81-48A3-94CD-1410E1F35174.jpeg EABACF84-C484-4A8A-BBF3-9DBA0F779C20.jpeg 688ECD3D-D72F-4218-807D-A0E86799EEF0.jpeg DF7D0A46-D29C-47DE-9F65-496C2A9701A8.jpeg

MTHall720, edbeau, Lhpanther and 14 others like this.
  2. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    I don't think I've ever posted this one. My wife gave me this on my 50th birthday, 25 years ago!! Bill Pease is a good friend and had sent me a few knives to see what I liked, I chose this one, not knowing it was a gift. Simon Lytton is a friend and he did the engraving, my wife always enjoyed seeing Simon at shows. Bill is still making his fine knives, Simon had a stroke a couple of years ago and is retired.

Handle material is Mammoth Ivory, backspring and blade have Bill's signature filework.

[​IMG]

3. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    That's a real treasure with a wonderful backstory, Win! Thanks for posting it.

Win Heger likes this.
  4. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I've posted my 72 before, but here's another picture. If I'm at work, so is my 72 GEC. 20190531_121330-2241x3984.jpg

tmd_87, TheChunk91, edbeau and 12 others like this.
  5. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    Eka swede 60, that I've been carrying, a real tank of a knife that hones up great[​IMG]

6. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - posted this the other day in another thread, a recent acquisition.

We're not allowed to carry lockbacks in UK without good reason, however, I had to have it, such a lovely design, and for a production knife, a great job by Boker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MTHall720, Dschal, tmd_87 and 14 others like this.
  7. dcpritch

Feb 28, 2018
    This made we wonder: when I was a young boy I always carried a knife, only slipjoints, until one day when I was working some leather it accidentally folded up across my fingers and cut my middle and index fingers to the bone. The scars remain visible after 50 years. That experience led me to prefer lockbacks and for many years I carried only lockbacks. Would that explanation be considered “good reason”?

8. Chui

Jul 10, 2012
    Hi David

Sadly not, that wouldn't cut the mustard with the authorities here at all.

Good reason, to them, would be because you're actively engaged in serious work/occupation that requires you to be/have been carrying in public.

Knife crime - which is brought about in UK basically through poverty - is at a level of public+media exposure where even a fairly innocuous penknife produces a "who are you going to kill with that" from NKP (non-knifey-people) - so the police are touchy to say the least. Most of the weekly, now, stabbings (average age 17yrs) here in UK are carried out using a 2-bit cheap kitchen knife bought in the local hardware store...........yet still, the government seeks to make it 'illegal to own' (even in your own home) more and more types of folders - folders the likes the average knife criminal will never, ever, own.

Now, of course, a more senior gentleman like yourself - or me, come to that - may possibly get away with possession of a locker in a public place, but given the average intelligence and understanding of the average policeman in UK, I would not give you or I very good odds :D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    ccsavage, JohnDF, willc and 1 other person like this.
  9. dcpritch

Feb 28, 2018
    Win that is an exceptionally beautiful knife on its own, but combined with the story of how it came to you, your connections with the people involved, the realization another could now never be made - it must be incredibly special to you. Your story elevated not only the knife but me as well. Thank you.

Thanks Chui for your reply and explanation. What a sad state of affairs you are in, and I worry the same could one day be headed our direction.

My son graduated college two weeks ago and since then has been visiting family and friends in Europe, in fact today is in London. He received a GEC #97 Yellow Rose as a graduation gift and wanted to take it on his travels, but for the very concerns you outlined I advised him against it.

Thanks to you i now have a new acronym - NKP - and am looking for a chance to slip it into conversation.

In solidarity with your precarious situation and in opposition to NKPs everywhere I will carry only lockbacks this weekend.

Fodderwing and Win Heger like this.
  10. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Czech Mikov:
    [​IMG]
    Camillus:
    [​IMG]

Fodderwing, tmd_87, mitch13 and 4 others like this.
  11. Chui

Jul 10, 2012
    - brilliant :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

12. ccsavage

ccsavage Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Is this true all over the UK? I have purchased lock back knives from an online dealer in the UK. The John Howser stag lockback I've show pics of here was shipped to me from there, maybe its different if you possess a dealers licence or something.

13. Chui

Jul 10, 2012
    @ccsavage - lockbacks are still fine.......fine in so far as legal to own. So, no problem whatsoever if you wish to buy, sell or use one - the proviso is you cannot carry in public without good reason

14. ccsavage

ccsavage Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 23, 2014
    I see. You can own them but not carry in public.

15. dcpritch

Feb 28, 2018
    Ryu 1306 lockback CCB88F27-7C1C-499C-94E4-088834678964.jpeg

16. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    David, that is some ol' timey lookin' stag . . . I love it!!

Fodderwing likes this.
  17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Fodderwing likes this.
  18. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    I will join you in your solidarity.

19. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I think you can possess them, just not carry them outside your house.

ccsavage likes this.
  20. dcpritch

Feb 28, 2018
    Thank you gentlemen! I’m lucky to be in possession of a few nice knives, but the few I have are just a pittance compared to the steady train of beautiful folders I get to see here.