For those who own a user BG-42

colubrid

Gold Member
I have a question for those who have owned and used several CRK's. Would you consider the BG-42 steel better than the S30v and S35vn?

Opinions should be based on experience with the Regular sebenzas in BG-42 compared to the newer sebenzas.

I had lots of BG42 sebs back in the day. I did have one or two at the same time as the intro to S30V. I'm sure there are tradeoffs with each. Maybe one is significantly tougher than the other. Maybe one is a lot more stain resistant. I did not notice any real standout attributes to either other than just being generally fantastic. If a fella has the scratch and a Regular Seb in BG42 makes him go from six to midnight its worth it. For me, when a knife suddenly goes from attainable to a collectors item it almost always goes away. I just need a good knife and my knife being more of a collectors item than just a good knife distracts me. If I found the old BG42 regular I lost many moons ago I would sell it and buy something else that is just as functional but more standard issue... like a Small Inkosi.

I had lots of BG42 sebs back in the day. I did have one or two at the same time as the intro to S30V. I'm sure there are tradeoffs with each. Maybe one is significantly tougher than the other. Maybe one is a lot more stain resistant. I did not notice any real standout attributes to either other than just being generally fantastic. If a fella has the scratch and a Regular Seb in BG42 makes him go from six to midnight its worth it. For me, when a knife suddenly goes from attainable to a collectors item it almost always goes away. I just need a good knife and my knife being more of a collectors item than just a good knife distracts me. If I found the old BG42 regular I lost many moons ago I would sell it and buy something else that is just as functional but more standard issue... like a Small Inkosi.

That is pretty sober thinking there.

Maybe I should sell my BG-42's and get some new Sebenzas. After all a knife is a knife.

But there is something I like more about the BG-42 Regulars. The blade seems to be deeper (or wider) as I have comparfed to the new 21's. I also like the solid washers on the Regular sebenzas. When the new perforated washers came out with the holes it took away from the simplistic design for me. The simplicity of the original Regulars is what always attracted me. That and the pivot bushing tolerances.

But when it comes to sharpening I like the BG-42 (I don't know why I have issues with sharpening S30v or S35vn). Maybe because all the knife companies have them and I seem to have a problem sharpening them and yet the BG-42's sharpen up real easy for me on the sharpening system I use.

I am still searching for what it is about the BG-42's and hope there is more feedback from others.

the regular's blade shape is sexier, no doubt about it. I bitched and moaned when CRK announced that they were nix'ing the Regular line. In the end I would choose a 21 over a regular. It turnes out that I prefer almost everything about it. The handle comfort, the blade shapes usefulness, the looks... everything. Im with you on the less is more feeling though... I like the pre-2009 Sebs for sure. Then again, the Large Inkosi is my most carried and used CRK. go figure.

Seems to be just like anything else when it comes down to it. Older BG42 Regular vs. Sebenza 21....or an inkosi, etc.

Will they both cut? Yes.
Are they both built nicely? Yes.

It is all a matter of preference to me. I am currently really liking Large Regulars but by no means do I think they are any more functional than a brand new 21 or Inkosi (or possibly even cheaper knives! GASP).

Did someone say BG42?
Yes Nick.. BG-42...BG-42........BG-42.

Oh why are we so different? Or should we ditch that and settle for a knife that costs 3x less? I use my BG-42's while my 21's and others sit in my display. Why am I so stupid and just let them be?

I own a large and small in BG-42 and use them often... I have owned 21's in S35VN and have owned a few other models in S30V. I prefer the look of the regular, no specific reason, just do. IMO BG-42 holds an edge longer and I can get it sharper. I got what I would consider "good deals" on both and never even was close to paying 3x the price of my large and small 21's, maybe closer to 1.5x...

My 1st Sebenza was a Lg.BG42 Regular. Is still in my EDC Rotation (2-Lg., 2-Sm.) and I love the steel, sharpens easier for me then the s30/35 for me. The blade shape cuts so well, handle fits me so well (as did the sm.reg). I fall in love with her feel/cutting, every time.

Mike B.
Downey, CA
ps: current EDC rotation is Sm.21 Insingo Barry H.CF, Sm.21 Tanto Micarta, Lg.Reg BG42 PJ, Lg.21 Insingo Wilson Combat(mutant, but great also).

I have a small Regular that has had a lot of use.

I have never had any issues with corrosion or pitting. Obviously some other guys have. This knife is +20 years old, and well-used, and it has not been an issue at all.

I do find it more work to sharpen up BG-42 when dull. If I keep it sharp, it doesn't seem to be a problem at all, however. So I learned that lesson and keep it in mind.

On the other side, I think that BG-42 does hold a good working edge longer than S30V. Not a hair-popping, laser-splitting edge, but a very sharp, very serviceable working edge. Overall, I prefer it to S30V and even more so to S35VN, though it's a close call between them and I may be affected more by sentiment than actual data on that comparison.

I wouldn't sell the BG-42 Sebenzas that I have at this point - I haven't checked prices lately, but unless they're really stratospheric, I like the ones I've got. It doesn't hurt that they're Regulars and that style hasn't been available for years. Yeah, so perhaps I could turn one BG-42 Regular into two or even three current Sebenzas - but how many knives can I use at once? And how many user Sebenzas do I need? And if I'm going to admit to collecting or at least accumulating things, isn't it better to have BG-42 Regulars than generic current- or recent-production Sebenzas (or other CRK folders)?

YMMV, of course.

I use both and also see no real difference in edge holding... I have found my 35 Insigno as the most consistently sharp EDC,

Back