Force patina on full tang fixed blade: whole knife?

I'm thinking of getting a carbon steel fixed blade. It has a full tang exposed between micarta scales that are permanently pinned on.

In this situation, how does one prevent the tang from rusting? If it begins to rust and requires polishing, I assume that scratches up the scales.

Can vinagar or another substance be used to patina the whole knife? Or is this unadvised for micarta scales?

thanks

I'm thinking of getting a carbon steel fixed blade. It has a full tang exposed between micarta scales that are permanently pinned on.

In this situation, how does one prevent the tang from rusting? If it begins to rust and requires polishing, I assume that scratches up the scales.

Can vinagar or another substance be used to patina the whole knife? Or is this unadvised for micarta scales?

thanks

exposed part may wear patina but the tang itself wont suffer deep rust and destroyed easily provided that
1. you keep your handle reasonably clean and dry.
2. the handle is properly constructed.

I've made a fixed blade of M2 tool steel with full tang construction twenty years ago. The outer part is covered with gray patina but the tang looks just fine.

Back