1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Forced patina help?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Grease, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Grease

Grease

May 10, 2012
    So as we all know, 5160 spring steel rusts like there's no tomorrow. I can leave a fingerprint shaped rust mark on it if I want to.

To try to ease this problem a bit, I've spent the better part of an hour trying to force a patina on my Kukri, alternating between smeared mustard and smeared pineapple juice (can't find any oranges or lemons).

My problem is that one side of the blade seems to be reacting much more quickly than the other. It has a really cool patina forming, while the slow side has hardly changed at all (except for a couple small spots,) and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Should I just keep trying on that one side, hoping it'll catch up with the better half? Switch materials, maybe?

2. Georgia Guy

Georgia Guy

Jan 16, 2006
    Be sure that side was clean of all the packing grease if it's new. I have done all of my carbon blades and I leave mustard on all night.

3. Grease

Grease

May 10, 2012
    *facepalm* that's probably the issue.

I store it with a light layer of oil on the blade... I thought I cleaned it all off, but I guess not.

4. A.L.

A.L. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Use rugs, and rub the blade occasionally with clean one and juicy one.
    I just patinated one of my blades, and it always works great!

5. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Why not just use gun blue?

6. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2012
    I used vinager and it worked well . If you do try it make sure the whole blade is submerged ! I left a etch line on one of my blades on the cutting edge .I soaked it over night and got a black patina . I did another blade for 4-6 hours and got a nice even gray.

7. Grease

Grease

May 10, 2012
    Cause I'm a lazy noob and I don't want to get any :eek: