fordham tools

hello all, ive been using a dremel tool for my rotary tool. the one i had worked great it was a multi-pro i cut steel and many other things i had it a long time. it finally went i replaced it with another since they dont make the multi-pro i bought the current new model the 400 xpr it lasted only a short while. ive been looking at a fordham rotary tool they are pretty expensive. i found one less than a year old for 50. i went to fordhams site and they dont tell much about the motor unit just the new accessories what are your ideas about fordham and how do they compare to the dremmel. ive even considered a mini router made by rigid its the same$ as a new dremmel and a stronger motor. any advice would be great! thanks,willy

Ummm, how did you kill a 400xpr? And have you tried contacting Dremel for service? They're pretty good about it generally. The 400xpr is a much more powerful tool than the multi-pro, and pretty well built. Maybe you got a lemon.

I'm guessing you mean Foredom for the other brand. If that's the case, they're good stuff. Basically commercial grade rather than consumer like the dremels. They're popular with a lot of craftsman and fabrication shops because they've got more power, last a very long time, and have a ton of options. Their flex shafts and handpieces are designed for a lot more power than the dremel versions, and like the motor are made for commercial use. Foredom's not cheap, but you're getting what you pay for and then some.

I have a Foredom and love it,I've had 2 Dremels and the Foredom runs rings around them.Yep it's expensive but if you can find a used one grab it.
Stan

I have about ten or so flex shaft units. Most are Foredom. They are made to last and can be re-built when repair is needed. Customer support is great. You can get a lot of different accessory handpieces to do many tasks that will work on most flex-shaft units,too. Get the biggest and best one you can afford. There is no comparison between a Foredom and a Dremel. Well, you can compare them....the same way you compare bicycles and motorcycles.

I have a foredom machine and I love it. I had a Drexel first and haven't used it since getting the foredom. I have the foot pedal that came with and it is very handy.

Has anyone tried the air powered micro grinders that appear to do the same thing as the foredome/dremel but by air power instead of electric motors?

Thanks
John

Picked up a Foredom at a garage sale for $25. I love it. The only reason I hadn't gotten one earlier is the cost. Much easier to use than my 35 year old single speed Dremel.

As Remyrw said, they are an industrial tool. Some of the Foredom wannabes are only for intermittent use.

The Dremel does get used from time to time for stuff like grinding off litte rivets etc.

Ric

I burned up a few motorized small hand tools in the 70's and early 80's since its been air powered die grinders the same ones from back then. Have not had a single problem with the 3 I own for these years and don't ever expect I will. I beleive my first one is a campbell hausefield, cost all of $18 20 or 30 years ago.
Ken.

Air grinders have their use, but for jobs that require power you want a heavy flex shaft and a 1/4-1/3HP motor. With one of those you can do most any task.....even engraving and woodcarving. The handpieces can be changed to fit most jobs.

The Foredom TX series, especially the TXH is the top performer. The SR series is good enough for most work, but has half the power of the TX. The extra $50 is worth it for the TX.

When buying tools that you use up and throw away, like cordless drills, the price may be a factor.....but with long life tools, the quality of the tool should be what you look at, not the price tag.
Ever wonder why places like Woodcraft are right down the street from Lowe's, Home Depot, and even HF, but their tools sell for twice the price or more.....yet they seem to be quite busy selling them. That is because the professional and serious hobbyist will recognize that a Freud or Festool will outlast several low priced tools. They also maintain their tools and these quality tools are made to take apart, clean and lubricate, and have replacement parts readily available both now and in 20 years - because you most likely will still have that tool in 20 years.

Has anyone tried the air powered micro grinders that appear to do the same thing as the foredome/dremel but by air power instead of electric motors?

Thanks
John

Use mine most week ends, I have one that takes a 1/4" collet for heavy cutting and a small one for the fine stuff, both work great

Richard

This economy is filling Craigslist and the classified newspaper ads with top notch used tools from crafts shops going belly up, alas. Watch for a used Foredom. Don't forget to lube the flex cable. Dremel is somewhat easier on the wrist, but it is a light duty, more or less hobbyist tool.

Stacy, I have been looking at one of these. I will go with the 1/3hp motor, but what do you feel would be the best handpiece to start with. Would mostly use it to carve on handles and guards. I run the quick change chuck on all my dremels and am wondering if there is a similar one for the Foredom and is what is you opinion of it.

Back