Foredom or Dremel?

Timely thread, thanks. I use a Dremel flex shaft and have stuck with it even given its low torque, because the handpiece is so narrow. It's hard to find a handpiece for a flex shaft machine that is small enough to get the buff or whatever into a 90 degree corner, which is what I use mine for the most. The Dremel has held up well but I keep wishing for a more powerful tool. The Grobet sounds great, I'm going to check that out. I've looked at Foredom and misc handpieces in Rio Grande and have yet to overcome the sticker shock. If I could find a good 1/4 hp flex shaft machine with a small diameter handpiece I'd be in hog heaven. I've also been considering getting a flex shaft that will attach to a polishing lathe; that seems like it might offer a lot of flexibility since I would like to use larger soft buffs for final finishing. Excellent thread! Thanks.

Im sure its the exception to the rule but I've had one of the Harbor Freight knockoffs for about 5 years and its served me well. Its 1/4 horse and I think I gave about 50 bucks for it. I remember at the time one of my Dremels had knocked off and I was contemplating buying a Foredom but needed something right away and theres no place to buy one where I live except through the mail. I ran across the one I have at HF and thought what to heck for 50 bucks I'll give it a try, if it dies no big deal, been using it ever since. I really enjoy the foot control and being able to use the slower speeds. I also have a Dremel flex shaft that I use, but use both of them about the same amount of time.

Fiddleback,

Foredom makes units that are reversible, I think it is the "S" series. makes life simple.

Paul

Gesswein is a true quality unit. Not cheap but quality. The company has been around for quite a while.

Paul

I have used nearly every kind of rotary tool out there, starting with the Dremels. I do a lot of deep-relief carving in soft(stag, pearl) and hard (blade steels), and quickly found that a session lasting 5-6 hours would consume dremels like six-packs. I switched to the Foredom several years ago, and have replaced drive cables(of course), brushes, bearings, chucks, and currently need to replace it; just too old now. Meanwhile, I built a second one using a craftsman chainsaw sharper, adapting a foredom cable to it. Great torque, more rpm's and i've used it now for 14 years. You could use a drywall cutter, also. Just keep the inside cable lubed.

Thanks, you've sold me on the foredom, now if I can just get over the sticker shock!:eek:

Back