Forge blower idea: good or bad?

This thread isn’t too old, so I figured it’d be okay for me to post this here. Has anyone used this blower? Would it be adequate? It’s 125cfm

https://www.lownine.com/blacksmith-...unlar-blower-electric-barbecues-us-250w-style

Also, when you guys say “gate valve, to reduce air flow.” Is a gate valve just a port in between the blower and burner that can be opened/closed to varying degrees to reduce/increase the flow of air? Does anyone have a picture of a gate valve or mechanism to reduce gas flow?

Lastly, is there a supplies list anywhere for building a forge? I have a couple forges, but am going to be building a blown forge in a couple weeks and am going to be placing a High Temp Tools order for everything I need. Any recommendations on how to save money? I’m not looking to cut costs if it compromises the build quality. But if there’s a certain source, that sells one or more of the main components for less, I’d certainly appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

I was pricing burner components and it looks like I’d only save around $15-$20 building my own VS buying a forced air burner kit from High Temp Tools. I kind of like the idea of just having everything together in a kit and just having to assemble. Rather than having to hunt down all the parts individually. They offer a completely assembled/painted forced air burner for $40 more than the kit, but I’m not really seeing what you’re getting for the $40 other than the paint and maybe some thread/plumbers tape. Am I missing something? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Is a gate valve just a port in between the blower and burner that can be opened/closed to varying degrees to reduce/increase the flow of air? Does anyone have a picture of a gate valve or mechanism to reduce gas flow?
Sorry, no pictures. But in this context “gate valve is pretty much anything what closes off the air plenum and is adjustable for how far closed or open its set at. Depending on the type of fan it may be better on either the intake or output side.
A true “gate valve” is a flat barrier what slides across an opening. Its often used because its easy to fabricate and obvious in how it works.
But things like a stovepipe damper can work equally well.
Another method is a diverter valve. Rather than progressively closing off an air plenum, excess air can be diverted somewhere else rather than closed off.

On small forges, either usually works well. But some motors are better off using a diverter so the motor runs at constant load and excess air is just sent to waste.

This thread isn’t too old, so I figured it’d be okay for me to post this here. Has anyone used this blower? Would it be adequate? It’s 125cfm

https://www.lownine.com/blacksmith-...unlar-blower-electric-barbecues-us-250w-style

Also, when you guys say “gate valve, to reduce air flow.” Is a gate valve just a port in between the blower and burner that can be opened/closed to varying degrees to reduce/increase the flow of air? Does anyone have a picture of a gate valve or mechanism to reduce gas flow?

Lastly, is there a supplies list anywhere for building a forge? I have a couple forges, but am going to be building a blown forge in a couple weeks and am going to be placing a High Temp Tools order for everything I need. Any recommendations on how to save money? I’m not looking to cut costs if it compromises the build quality. But if there’s a certain source, that sells one or more of the main components for less, I’d certainly appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

I was pricing burner components and it looks like I’d only save around $15-$20 building my own VS buying a forced air burner kit from High Temp Tools. I kind of like the idea of just having everything together in a kit and just having to assemble. Rather than having to hunt down all the parts individually. They offer a completely assembled/painted forced air burner for $40 more than the kit, but I’m not really seeing what you’re getting for the $40 other than the paint and maybe some thread/plumbers tape. Am I missing something? What do you guys think?

I wouldn't order from that site: https://www.signal-arnaques.com/en/scam/view/166037

They're selling that for less than half of what any other site is selling it for, and the rest of the products listed are shoes and stuff. I'd say it's set up to scam card numbers.

That's a good option, OR you could get the the same blower previously linked to on amazon or ebay for about $80 if I recall.

Back