forge burners in succession?

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
Anyone have any pics of forge burners in a series, say like three or four? I'd like to make a sword forge sometime in the future and was trying to figure out how to feed the propane to a series of burners.

Thanks in advance. :)

Mark Williams

peter nap (Don) posted one a while back. I think he just used a series of the torches that go with the small tanks.

One thing to think about is make it vertical or put in some ceramic supports, so it wont sag.

If you go to the forge gallery on Darren's site it looks like Gib Guignard uses that type of set up. Unfortunately the link isn't working for me today to open that section. Maybe there's only one picture :confused:

Here is one using side arm burners it will heat treat 30+ ". Heat is not perfect but is workable. The next time I need one I will build it and not by it, The Co. that built it don't know all thy think thy do. This forge has 6 burners and will run on one burner of how many you may want, I am now running on just two with a Kwool dam at burner 3. If you have any questions email me. Gib

fimage002.jpg

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
Thanks fellows. I checked out Gib's but I couldn't get it to open in a larger pic for me. I've got a pretty large vertical forge, but I want to make a horizontal one, mainly for heat-treating very long blades. I'm thinking about using four burners with a piece of angle iron mounted below them (pointing up) to diffuse the heat and keep "hot spots" from forming.

Edited to add: Thanks for the big pic, we must have posted at the same time. ;)

Danbo

Platinum Member
Gib Guignard said:
The pic is posted full size. Gig

Well then, I imagine a person could make lots of swords about 8" long. ;) :D