Forged vs stock removal infi

I have read that some bladesmiths(Tim Zowada, possibly others) have forged blades from infi steel with success. Has any testing been done on forged blades by Busse to see if the properties of infi have changed compared to regular production Busses?

It would seem that forging would solve the question of a thinner infi blade. I would love to see a thin, machete blade of infi someday.

------------------
Alex Penton

I think forging would produce an excellent blade...maybe even better blade than stock-removal. However, this method would be time-consuming and no doubt the blades produced would be VERY expensive. I haven't ever heard any comments on forged INFI, but I'm sure they worked out well.

Maybe the Busse custom shop would forge you an INFI blade. I doubt it though.

I wonder if there are any pics of those forged INFI blades...

Andrew
Actually Forging is faster than grinding when you are good at it. It also costs less because it lets the smith use a smaller piece of steel and stretch it to the full size of the knife. However, I am sure Jerry has some very powerful grinders so it probably it quicker for him to use the stock removal method. Also since he is making production models that go to an exact profile, forging each blade to that would be difficult. As far as the forged blade being stronger and sharper, the performance of the blade depends on how it was treated during the forging process. That will determine the number of fractures in the steel(also grain growth). Since Jerry does 80 Hours of heat treating in each blade,(which probably takes care of all fractures and grain growth) I seriously doubt that a forged INFI blade would perform much better than the Current method they use.
Yours in Forged Beautys and Nuclear Grinding Dust,
Luke

Back