Forging a Tomahawk from a wrench?

So I was cruising Youtube and I saw a video about forging a tomahawk from a wrench. Has anyone done this? I was considering grabbing a wrench next time I'm at Harbor Freight to test and see

yeah trexler, i tried it, grab a big one. you will definetly need to anneal it 2-3 times. a few months ago i tried to make one, didnt even dent it. tried to make a knife by cutting the crescent off, dulled my cold cut chisel. all this was done at orange and yellow heat. annealing is a must but grab a big wrench, maybe like 2.5" or bigger

If you're after the novelty of a wrench-hawk, good on ya and post a WIP.
If you just want to forge a hawk, order a couple feet of 1084 from njsteelbaron(.com) for a wrap-and-weld. $15 will get you 4 feet of 0.140"x1.5". Or go thicker, or wider, or whatever. I would LOVE to do this, but my forge is too small and I don't know jack about heat-and-beat.

If you do this, please be aware of the possibility of hexavalent chrome, which when you put it in the forge and heat, is very dangerous.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hexavalentchromium/

If you must, make sure you use proper PPE, and stand up wind! You can strip it off with acid, which has its own hazards​!
Best bet would find a really old wrench (which no longer has any type of plating) or buy the 1084 as stated above.

Last edited:
I would buy some steel , because chrome can be toxic. Then you don't have to ruin a vintage wrench.
Recently on YouTube I saw an absolutely horrific video on YouTube where a guy destroyed a vintage plomb pebble finish ratchet just to make it into a horribly performing throwing knife / dart thingy, and it was such a shame.

I'd be more worried about breathing chrome particles from grinding than fumes from forging a single piece. It don't rust out of your lungs.

I'd be more worried about breathing chrome particles from grinding than fumes from forging a single piece. It don't rust out of your lungs.

Either way would be a health hazard, and why the recommendation to buy new stock or something old enough not to have plating, also why I posted the OSHA link above.
This falls right in with heating up in a forge anything zink plated. There was a popular blacksmith on another forum site named Paw-Paw who put some galvanized pipe in a forge to burn off the coating, he later died, the fumes contributed to his death. And he knew better, and was an experienced blacksmith. It's nothing to take lightly.

Last edited:
Back