1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by lessismore, Jul 26, 2018.

1. lessismore

lessismore Enjoy Every Sandwich Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010

Dopic1, Rupestris and mitch4ging like this.
  2. lessismore

lessismore Enjoy Every Sandwich Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Having been bitten by the forging bug, I'm seriously looking into a rounding hammer, around 2.5 lbs would be nice.

For now, I've been doing small projects like this...
    IMG_20180725_002830235-1024x1820.jpg
    IMG_20180717_141051538-1024x1820.jpg

Rupestris, protourist and mitch4ging like this.
  3. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    S
    Shows a lot of finesse. You sure loose your heat fast the smaller your stock gets. Nice work!

4. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    I like the finer work right now, mainly because my technique sucks and I'm rusty at swinging a hammer. I'm limited now because of the size of my forge, it's great for blades but too narrow for most projects. I have two coal forges that I need to set up.

mitch4ging likes this.
  5. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    That's where I'm at. Have started a coal forge out of a break drum, but it sits unfinished...under my bench...still.

6. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    We may both have to get off our Duff's!

mitch4ging likes this.
  7. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Uh,

IMG_2794.JPG

;) :thumbsup: :cool:

Dopic1 and protourist like this.
  8. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    My wife and I have had an eye out and have collected a few nice pieces of that stye of iron work - pretty, delicate and functional - though admittedly some of the function is nothing more than sitting on a shelf or hanging on the wall. :rolleyes: I have and have given away (a few with regret :confused:) some pretty unique hand forged, all iron, cork screws

I like :thumbsup:

AT ray

mitch4ging likes this.
  9. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    It might be counter productive, but I'm trying not to plan out too much when it comes to forged projects. I want to swing a hammer for a while and see what comes of it. I definitely want to stay with functional things, (although the kid in me that wants to figure out how to make a dinosaur:D)

Lapedog and protourist like this.
  10. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod

Jan 14, 2001
    Easy-peasy; forge a blade, bury it deep, then come back and dig it up 65,000,000 to 250,000,000 million years from now. See? (you can thank me later)... ;)

Lapedog and RayseM like this.
  11. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    ^ :D Easy ...

R

12. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    @mitch4ging I have no self control :( a 2.75lb Nitzan Lilie Rounding hammer is enroute. It just wouldn't get out of my head. The handle is shorter than what I've been using but I choke up so much anyways, it should be good, we shall see.

Is it still considered an impulse buy if you've been staring at it for a week?:oops::D

mitch4ging likes this.
  13. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Nope. Unless it helps you sleep at night. :p

mitch4ging likes this.
  14. protourist

protourist "Ratis necque navale enavigat" Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Sheldon finally reveals the facts behind the Randall wait time...

mitch4ging, RayseM and Melvin-Purvis like this.
  15. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    No, that's controlled consideration!! :D:thumbsup:
    Congratulations!
    I have one of the Hofi-type looking hammers with the short handle. I use it when choking up also. It should serve you well, you'll get use to it.
    Always wanted one of Brian Brazeal's hammers, but could never justify it.

16. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    There's a couple of guys on Instagram that make Brazeal style rounding hammers. They're in the $150p - $200 range. Fiery Furnace Forge on eBay makes some nice ones.

That Lilie forge style hammer was eating at me (in a good way) so I messaged him on Instagram and asked about a 2.75lb. He got back to me pretty quick with a nice price.

mitch4ging likes this.
  17. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    Can't fault you for that!

I gotta get to using what I have, make my wife something NICE...then maybe i can get a new favorite one! ;)

18. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    I'm gonna try to make a hairpin for mine, she always uses a chopstick or a pencil. Shouldn't be too hard, just draw a taper and put some kind of finial on the end?

mitch4ging likes this.
  19. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    ... or an eraser :rolleyes:

R

lessismore likes this.
  20. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    That would be cool!
    hair_pin_designs_by_astalo.jpg