Forging Harley Primary Chain?

Over the past several years I have aquired some pre 1945 Harley primary chains and am thinking seriously about trying to forge them. Just wondering if anyone has tips on how to stack or assemble billets. Seems like there is going to be a huge amount of air in them no matter how you stack it.

Thought maybe tack welding a stack three or four links deep? Borax it heavily and keep it mighty hot. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Terry:D

Terry; I just got done with one that I took off my Indain years ago. I just wound it up on itself weld rebar on the loose end. Heat it up slowly, flux the hell out of it and gave it hell in the press. I had the welding heat around 2500 deg.

Hi, I've just had a very disappointing experience with Harley chain. Mine came from a 70's vintage hog though, and may be a different composition than yours. I welded up a billet by stacking it two high, folding it around once, and tacking together in a few spots. Welded nicley, but I had to cut the billet in half and reweld to get it good and solid. Anyhow, like a dummy, I forged and ground a 5" blade and heat treated w/canola oil, and it RC at 30 or lower in several spots. I then quenched in H2O, adn was able to get 45 to 50 RC. Not very satisfactory! The rest of the billet will be San Mai'd with L-6 in the center. Just a word of caution for you to ensure you do a good quench test BEFOR pissing around making a blade.

Clint Chisan

Hey Terry!

One way is to get in that pretty black truck and drive over the pass to Winlock :)

You definitely either want to roll it on itself (like George mentioned) or stack it/weld it.

I soak it in a bucket with some vinegar overnight and it gets all the gunk off of it.

Flux it HEAVILY at a high heat and start working away.

The press welds it up pretty nice. I've been told there's something to the harmonics of a power hammer that helps squeeze cable and chain down with less inclusions in the end result... I don't know if that's true or one of those magical myths. But anyway you cut it, chain can be a bugger to weld solid.

Either come over and press it out or let us know how it turns out when you're done :D

Nick

Talk to Bruce Evans. He's made me a couple different knives from Harley primary chains I sent him. One was a slightly modified EDS.

And if ya make the run to Winlock then you and Nick both can come over here to beautiful rural Tenino and use the power hammer and a REAL press (grin).

Indian George, I thought it may have been Japanese also, but it came from a Harley Customizing shop, and no Jap bikes are aloud within one mile!:) :)

Thanks guys, Nick and Bill, I will get over your way before the snow flies for sure and will let you know in advance. Don't have a press or power hammer yet. Just a six pound hammer and anvil. I can do less challenge pieces that way, but doubt I can build the courage to hit it hard enough or long enough to do the chain. I will look you guys up real soon or wonder down and see the lovely and talented Mr. Bump. Thanks again for all the insight and info. Terry

Back