Forgive Me, Charlie, For I Have Sinned

Everyone, I have a confession to make. I've been posting on here long enough, and I think it's time I just go ahead and come right out with it. You may want to sit down for this. Okay, here goes:

I don't really care for Barlows.

I dunno, they just never really did much for me. I enjoy looking at pics on here, and I've had a chance to handle some in person, but I've just never thought, "Man, I have got to get one of those." The recent TC runs in peachseed amber bone were probably my favorites that I've seen, but I still didn't have any problem letting them go by without buying one.

I blame my family. I was raised almost exclusively around equal-end knives. Perhaps there is some type of a reorientation program available for people like me? I hope you guys will still be able to treat me the same, now that you know. If not, I'll understand.

^^^^^:D:D:D:D
To each his own my friend!! :)
Just leaves that many more Barlows for the rest of us! :p:p:D
We don't have to all like the same thing...........this is America!!:cool: And Canada,and Mexico, and Europe, and S.America and the good folks from the land down under!!:cool: There did I forget anyone??;)

Dave

Trout, I know how you feel. I’ve tried to like them and can’t.

I was raised around a bunch of men who carried stockmen, which is now my favorite also. So I know what you mean.

I’m with the hound on this one. I just have no love for Barlow’s the long bolster is my hang up. With the popularity and demand they get I consider myself lucky not having to chase the red hot Barlow. My afflictions do include equal ends, and serpentines.

IMO, it's no sin to prefer other patterns, Trout! There are some days I like something different in my pocket.
And I much prefer a nice fresh-caught Sockeye Salmon (caught right out there!!:D*) on the grill, to a trout!
To each his own of course!

* I live on the west coast!:)

I personally don't love EVERY Barlow, nor every GEC Barlow.

I however do really enjoy the GEC single blade clips, and can't resist the single blade Sheepfoot (2017 has been a good year).

The only two blade Barlow I really like is the #77 Wharncliffe/clip. I'd go nuts over a sheepfoot/clip Barlow of any brand, but have never seen one.

Last edited:
Funny, I discovered GEC (and rediscovered traditionals) through Northwoods, then picture posts on this forum. TC Barlows caught my eye and redirected me from the Northwoods. Then, after discovering other patterns, I never really became a Barlow fanatic.

I acquired each of the last woolly bully/bf knife run, because that's what made up the entirety of the shop tour at the rendezvous. I actually got to check out and hold these knives through various production stages, and was fortunate enough to meet Charlie, so I thought it'd be cool to get the set, and it's special for that reason.

If I was to draw up a dream knife, though, it wouldn't be a Barlow.

We all have different likes,mine being equal end single spring with a blade at each end.
Don't own a Barlow, or a Tooth Pick, or a Harness Jack or aCongress. Not really much for Jacks unless they are of
the smaller variety-GEC 22, Case Peanut, GEC Beagle. Only have 2 Stockman pattern knives, one Case one GEC
both are Stag & I bought them more for the covers than the pattern.
That all being said I can still get on this forum & look at all the fine examples of traditional knives whatever pattern or
covers they have & appreciate the history & craftsmanship that went into each & every one

Like they say different strokes for different strokes I like Barlows in fact they my favorite pattern. There are other patterns I don't care for at all Toothpicks, the all popular 25, Sunfish and Elephant toes I honestly don't understand why Lady Legs were ever made and the list goes on. I think that's one of the great things about traditional knives there's so many different patterns everyone can find something they like.

I feel you. I never could come around to barlows or 3.5" knives. I liked my 77 jack, so I sprung for a UN-X-LD. A green single clip. Should've loved it but I didn't.
Anyway, I sold it but decided to give it another spin. I decided to try something that felt authentic, something with soul. Something that didn't feel like a gaudier regular jack. Something that felt ancient.. I don't think I want another one but I really do like this one. My point is, you don't have to like barlows to like a Barlow.
kQoKBxU.jpg

That's also one of the reasons why traditional slipjoints are fascinating I believe.
Each folk has a special addiction,as for myself,I always have an affection for long pull spear blades.

I'll answer you what my dad used to say when I did not want to eat some soup : well well well, that leaves more for the others! :D:D:D
More seriously, one can not like all the patterns, no sin here anyway! :)

I feel you. I never could come around to barlows or 3.5" knives. I liked my 77 jack, so I sprung for a UN-X-LD. A green single clip. Should've loved it but I didn't.
Anyway, I sold it but decided to give it another spin. I decided to try something that felt authentic, something with soul. Something that didn't feel like a gaudier regular jack. Something that felt ancient.. I don't think I want another one but I really do like this one. My point is, you don't have to like barlows to like a Barlow.
kQoKBxU.jpg

Is that reground? It looks kinda lambsfooty. Does Jack know about this? :D Definitely a knife with character.

I trend toward Stockman cause what Dad and several family members carried along with several Barlow carriers !. Buy and carry what you want! I never had a peanut pattern till about 3-4 years ago when I got my first one by Imperial that was DE branded.

Back