Formby's tung oil

Hey all

Is Formby's high gloss tung oil finish good for knife handles? I know that is doesn't or nearly doesn't have any actual tung oil in it but has anybody had success with it?

I have also heard of a bunch of people that like watco danish oil finish.

Teak oil? Is it good only for teak wood or can it be used as an all around finish?

Formby's and teak oil is MUCH cheaper than Watco and I have a low budget for this.

Thanks
Ian

Last edited:
I have used Formbys low gloss and it seems to be good stuff. Rub in the first coat very well, wipe off excess and 24 hrs later, hand buff with very fine steel wool and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat..................I do 5 or 6 coats.

Watco Danish oil will last a long time. It gives a nice Hand Rubbed finish without Hi-Gloss really makes The Grain POP on highly figured woods. I do 3-5 applications depending on how much the wood absorbs the oil. Apply first coat heavy let it soak 30 minutes wipe and allow to dry overnight light buff with 0000 steel wool wipe clean apply light second coat let dry then buff with steel wool wipe clean apply third coat repeat buff and polish with paste wax or a buffer.

I prefer a smooth Matte Finish over a Hi-Gloss the wood grain appears more natural less like plastic.

A Angus McGunnigle : Ok, cool. Thanks.

Busto Busto : Now looking at it, the danish oil isn't that pricey. I am not sure what I was looking at before.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on what finish wax I should use for naturally oily woods like ebony? Is minwax finishing oil the way to go? Should cocobolo be waxed rather than finished too?

I have in the past used both Formby's high gloss tung oil and watco danish oil. I like the watco danish oil a lot better.

For paste wax I like Mother's Carnuba once it's warmed up rubs on nice and easy to buff....Rub it easy Make it hard.

I like teak oil on just about any wood. It does impart a yellower finish than most clear oils. The nice thing about teak oil is it has UV inhibitors in it which will protect the finish and the wood from sunlight.
Tim

Back