Formed leather sheaths

Soak the leather for an hour, then wrap it or place it in a ziploc bag overnight. It will be soft and pliable after that. Wrap up your piece (pistol / knife) with Saran Wrap to keep it dry and form the leather around the piece, pressing with your fingers to form it. As it dries (usually a couple of hours) keep pressing from time to time. Then let it dry fully for a day or two. I've also heard some folks soak with acetone and form immediately, but I've never tried this. Hopefully one of the more experienced guys will chime in with corrections or more tips!

My experience has been to soak veg tanned leather (8-9oz) for about 5-8 seconds, bending and kneading lightly under water. It will form nicely around the knife or gun and will dry to tooling moisture in a few hours or less, depending on the leather. Watch out for fingernail marks.

Check out a sample on my for-sale knife. Sold already, but you'll see what I mean.

Patrick

I put mine in as Hot a water as I can put my hands in and let it soak until soft(about 8 to 10 min.) I then put the knife in the sheath and use a bone folder and adomed tool to form. I take the knife out and go over the edges of the form pressing down put in window until dry
006-4.jpg

SS850233.jpg

SS850132.jpg

Back