Forum rules and philosophy revisited.

Addendum: I wrote this before I found out about Hollowdweller being censored. I don't agree with that at all. :mad:

I wrote to Hollow and told him to contact Rusty personally and try to work things out. To be honest, I rather like Hollow. I somehow feel there may be a mixup which can be straightened out. We all make mistakes and sometimes innocently. Rusty is as fair and just and caring a man as you'll find and if there has been some kind of miscommunication or mistunderstanding Rusty will take care of it.

All the old sayings are true. That's why they turn up in all cultures and have been taught and written for thousands of years. And here's one of them: To err is human, to forgive devine.

two good cantanistas get all tangled up like that. smoke going to Forseti, the god of counsel and mediation. For our bros and sis'es in the Cantina.

Keith

Uncle Bill you never fail to inspire. I dunno where I would be if I had never stumbled onto this internet forum. But you have always been a beacon in dark waters. Thank you Uncle Bill.

As always Uncle Bill, your post shows heart, wisdom and compassion. I will always endevor to live up to your fine example. If I fall short, I will try harder.
:)

Well said, Bill. My screen name may joke about being a bad example... but you're one of the good examples. Thanks to you, Rusty, and the rest of the Cantina for making this forum our little haven.
I am glad you have reached out to Hollowdweller, and I hope this can all be patched up.

Bill Martino said:
I wrote to Hollow and told him to contact Rusty personally and try to work things out. To be honest, I rather like Hollow. I somehow feel there may be a mixup which can be straightened out. We all make mistakes and sometimes innocently. Rusty is as fair and just and caring a man as you'll find and if there has been some kind of miscommunication or mistunderstanding Rusty will take care of it.

All the old sayings are true. That's why they turn up in all cultures and have been taught and written for thousands of years. And here's one of them: To err is human, to forgive devine.

Good news; glad to hear it! Hope it can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

Regards,

Norm

Beautiful words Bill. We all have to revisit our core values, and personal mission statement regularly to be the being we want to be.

"To know and to act are one."

Thanks Bill.

A responsibility to your audience: Respect those who come to you with open ears and foster a sense of community. (I believe the quote is by Sudo)

From a newbie

JHB

Hard to believe it has been that much time since the boxes used to arrive from Slidell. As good as the khukuris are, knowing Yangdu & you is one of my greatest pleasures & I feel truly fortunate to have come in contact with the two of you.

Don, you and your whole family are good guys and it is our great pleasure to have established a great relationship with you and yours. And this same thing goes for many others here.

One of the problems we have had lately with the forum is I've not been posting "real" stuff -- this because I just didn't have the strength or energy. I'm feeling a little better and we'll get this place right back dead on track. With the fine help and great effort provided by my "Brother in the faith", Rusty, we never did stray that far. But going astray at all is not the way to go.

Blessings to all -- and trust me on that one. I really mean it.

I might have to point my dad over to this thread. When I was talking about how UB sends a good portion of the money from selling HIs products overseas he commented that Bill probably doesn't send very much of it. I didn't know how to respond. If I corrected him he might just think that I am too nieve. I do hope that my dad will come around and be a little more trusting in people.

Yoiparri, you can tell by the lavish lifestyle that Bill and Yangdu live that they are raking in the bucks. Their palace, The Titanic II, and the grounds of their estate must cost plenty to maintain. I would guess at least $500.00 a month.

Ben Arown-Awile said:
Yoiparri, you can tell by the lavish lifestyle that Bill and Yangdu live that they are raking in the bucks. Their palace, The Titanic II, and the grounds of their estate must cost plenty to maintain. I would guess at least $500.00 a month.

Not to mention all the servants...:rolleyes:

Yoippari--I feel sorry for your dad. If one can't trust Uncle Bill, one probably has trust issues and can't trust anyone:( .

--Josh

I actually don't know anything about UBs living conditions. I assume by the name Titanic II and that he is in Reno, that his home is either a rv or a manufactured home.
He really just doesn't know anything about UB. I have noticed several things like this cynicism about him (my dad) recently. Currently, I am trying to either get over them or ignore them.

yoippari said:
I might have to point my dad over to this thread. When I was talking about how UB sends a good portion of the money from selling HIs products overseas he commented that Bill probably doesn't send very much of it. I didn't know how to respond. If I corrected him he might just think that I am too nieve. I do hope that my dad will come around and be a little more trusting in people.

Hmm. Interesting. My feeling is that what amount Uncle Bill does or does not send is none of my concern, or anyone else's for that matter. That is strictly between him and the folks in Nepal, and even speculating on it privately (I will say again!) is None Of My Damn Business.

However, I _do_ know something about the standard of living in that part of the world, and somehow I find it incomprehensible that the Kami's, the Saarki's and all their families are making these incredibly time-intensive blades by hand and sending them to the US for sale just out of the goodness of their hearts, or for a few pennies here and there. Because of Uncle Bill and his work to establish a customer base for their products in this country, they are getting a huge amount more than they would ever get without his sales channel and support, and have a thriving concern going that employs many, many people. Enlightened self-interest at work and everyone benefits. BirGorkha isn't some Nike Indonesian sweatshop.

I would urge people to actually read through all the pages of background material on the HI site (there's tons of it, and I still find some new info from time to time). It is obvious from even a cursory research the good work HI is doing for these people in that part of the world. It is also obvious to anyone who has "known" Uncle Bill online for longer than a week or two that he would be incapable of doing anything other than behaving honorably towards people halfway around the world, many of whom are quite literally part of his family, by doing his best to sell their products and find work for them. Even to the extent of selling their stuff at cost from time to time.

Finally, I also know just a little bit about marketing, and at the risk of costing myself some extra $ down the road :), anyone who has ever been present at one of Uncle Bills deal of the day feeding frenzies knows that Uncle Bill could easily double his asking price for some of these blades and STILL sell them like glasses of icewater in hell. When I first came upon this site and saw the asking price for blades of this quality I was amazed, and then quickly shut up and started buying as fast as I could.

As an example, in the last couple of days Uncle Bill sold 2 UBE's for $75 each, with very minor blemishes, that he easily could have sold for twice that amount considering the demand for those blades just among those in this forum, and the fact that a new one sells for almost $200 on the HI site.

All I can say is that if Uncle Bill is out solely to enrich himself, then he's doing a damn poor job of it and would be better off working for tips, and anyone who even speculates otherwise is mean-spirited at best and a damn liar at worst.

There. No offense meant, and I'm (just slightly) sorry to be so "frank and forceful", but that one just pushed the wrong button...!

Regards,

Norm

Yoippari, as further proof of the Martino fortune, consider the fact that he has two cars and his wife doesn't even drive. I haven't been up to his place for a couple of years, but the last time I saw him he was still driving the El Camino that he drove when I first met him in 1972. But he must have gotten rich because he had also acquired an old Toyota that he was keeping running with bailing wire, and everyone knows that bailing wire isn't cheap.

Back