Found it! 6" fighter WIP

tinfoil hat timmy

Gold Member
This is a thread for you guys over here to see how knives get machined in my shop. Milling is an uncommon approach to knife making, but I’m a machinist and that’s how I do it.

This is the knife I’ll be making:

1.jpg~original

It is a 6” fighter in the same family as my 8” shiv. This will be new pattern.

I won't delve into the design process here because I’ve covered that topic before and this thread is really just more about pictures.

After a design is developed a computer model is made because 3D data is just about a prerequisite for 3D milling.

2.jpg~original

This is being machined in an old vertical machining center. These have carousels loaded with cutting tools, in this case on a chain, that get touched off and can then be called out in a program and used to cut a work piece. I’m mostly using drills, endmills and facemills in this project.

3.jpg~original

Roughing down the top of a work piece with a small inserted facemill

4.jpg~original

This removes the mill scale and major surface flaws and gets the material flatter and closer to net shape.

5.jpg~original

Some holes drilled

6.jpg~original

Some pockets milled out

7.jpg~original

Running a finish pass across the top

8.jpg~original

This is CPM 3V here and it is a bear to finish.

9.jpg~original

Then I engrave my signature and the steel type

10.jpg~original

And flip it over and finish out side 2

11.jpg~original

While I was at it I ran some ELMAX too. It finishes out very clean, but it is abrasive on tooling.

12.jpg~original

The next step is milling the bevels. This is a pretty cool operation, I hope you'll check back in later.

More to come...

Here's what I was talking about.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it wasn't here sooner. Oh well. Now it is. Being a machinist myself, I enjoy this kind of stuff.

I would have done it if I had known. You may want to consider changing the title of the thread though!!

I am looking for the WIP thread that shows in extreme details how he machined the 8 inch shiv and designed the handle. I read it but now can't find it. I think it was from 2012. Anyone know where it is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

The Fighter I have is ELMAX with a 3/4 length sharpened top-edge. ;)

Dudley, the 6" fighter is the only one I'll be missing so if you run into any other 6" fighter mint, I need it, buddy.

Thanks, Bob

Dudley, the 6" fighter is the only one I'll be missing so if you run into any other 6" fighter mint, I need it, buddy.

Thanks, Bob

Mine's part of a set that was made with razor-sharp top and bottom....a sharpened clip on the Shiv and an almost completely sharp spine on the Fighter....and I mean mirror-polished zero-edge sharp!

I'll surely keep an eye out for you buddy, hopefully Nathan will make another run one of these days.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

EDIT: After looking over some information I have, I just came to realize that I actually have a 6" utility fighter somewhere waiting in the wings, so please excuse all the dialogue over it.

Last edited:
EDIT: After looking over some information I have, I just came to realize that I actually have a 6" utility fighter somewhere waiting in the wings, so please excuse all the dialogue over it.

That's great! Finding one would be tough, since I've never seen one on the Secondary Market, and finding one with specific handle material would be REAL TOUGH!!!!!!!!! ;)

Back