1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found metal detecting

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by maspenock, Dec 1, 2018.

1. maspenock

maspenock

Dec 1, 2018
    https://imgur.com/EUyJFHN trying to identify this axe head I dug up metal detecting hope that someone here can help. Found near an old foundation near a lake in mass.[​IMG]

A17 likes this.
  2. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    You should probably be asking a museum more than us, the thing is ancient

KiwiBloke, quinton, A17 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I don't think you'll ever identify the maker of that axe. But I agree with Phantom that's it's likely very old. I would expect it to be made with a wrought iron body with a forge welded bit and poll. Dating the foundation might give you an idea of the age of the axe.

4. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    Square_peg is probably right,though the patter of corrosion is an odd one.Normally,the higher-carbon bit would have a tendency to erode more that the lower-C/silica layered wrought.But conditions in different soils do vary very greatly.

Judging by it's general appearance my intuitive take would be that it's actually not that old.It looks regular enough to be a product of a factory-ish manufactury vs some small rural forge.

Very likely an import from Germany or France or some other part of Western Europe,in appearance a bench axe of some variety(maybe even single-bevel?).
    (poll and cheeks are very Kent-pattern-loike:)
    (all of the above Strictly subjective).

5. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    P.S.

In posts of a "help identify" nature it Really helps to have a view of the eye-shape:)

6. maspenock

maspenock

Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  7. maspenock

maspenock

Dec 1, 2018
    Thanks I am glad I posted

8. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    Thank you for the eye-view.
    Yes,the eye would be consistent with most Kentish types.
    But even if that is it's roots(or rather especially if so),then i'm more than likely wrong about it being a probable import.
    Kent-pattern has flourished in the US right from the very beginning,many American manufacturers produced many a different axe with that type of eye/cheeks/poll.

maspenock likes this.
  9. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Not a continental eye. More likely early American or maybe British. I'd bet American. And I agree with Jake about it being a factory axe. I'd guess 1850 - 1900 +/-

maspenock and jake pogg like this.
  10. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Or it's not wrought....

Square_peg and jake pogg like this.
  11. maspenock

maspenock

Dec 1, 2018
    Do you think I should try to clean it up, it would be a coll project to try to restore it?

12. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    if you're feeling dangerous, maybe a brass brush but it's pretty much a wall hanger at this point

jake pogg likes this.
  13. maspenock

maspenock

Dec 1, 2018
    I thought as much..thanks

jake pogg and phantomknives like this.
  14. maspenock

maspenock

Dec 1, 2018
    https://imgur.com/tz4BMVF I have cleaned it with a brush and applied wd-40 and it really is nice.I think I am going to mount it on a plaque somehow on my fireplace. Can any of you experts tell me if this wavy line in the eye is from folding at forge or a crack, it coincides with the line that runs down the cheek on the more deteriorated side.

15. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    It looks like a forge weld that is opening up. This can be caused by rotten soaked wood in the eye freezing and expanding.

KiwiBloke, jake pogg and Fmont like this.
  16. maspenock

maspenock

Dec 1, 2018
    Thanks..
    I just found another ax head about 2 feet from where I found the other one, this one is a different shape head, I will post some pics when i get it cleaned up but it also has the same line down the cheek. This one is in better shape than the first one. I am not sure what I have stumbled upon here.

17. maspenock

maspenock

Dec 1, 2018
  18. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    jake pogg likes this.
  19. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    [​IMG]

20. The Zieg