Found my grail stove, and it'll surprise ya

I've been looking hard for a camping/"survival" lightweight stove for my kit and have been, well, floored by what people are charging for little metal cutouts that fold into a support with windscreen. 50-100 bucks is the going rate. come on now, for a little piece of metal with no grinds - no D2, no ricasso!!!! I knew I wanted to use a stove that could use a trangia alcohol element and take wood if I had to.
Found it.
$5 10 oz. total weight old school Sterno design.
sometimes you just gotta look hard. I still want to make my own at some point but I'll probably mod this one a bit. Hope this helps someone else in my shoes...

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=341254&w=PQ+JDyOLrQE=

I like the look of that... post up some pics and a review when you get it!

I like that stove too. Actual weight on my scale is 9.5 oz. I paid about twice that amount but at $10 it was still cheap.

DSC_0328.jpg

That's more like it. I bet you could mod that quite simply to shave off another couple of ounces too.

I have one of those around somewhere. It never even occured to me to use it as a twig stove, thanks for the great idea!

I was going to get one at KMart a couple years ago. Happened to buy the last few leathermans they had and it took the last of my money for those. Wish I had picked it up, though. The Kmart is out of business now. (Walmart right across the street)

Back