Four of a kind.

Discussion in 'Hanson Knives' started by Scott Hanson, May 7, 2020.

1. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    I had a customer reach out to me and request that I build four knives all the same, one for him and one for each go his 3 sons. He really liked the the last knife I made for Mack with the Randall model #27 handle spacer pattern, that's what we decided on. I also have my new Scagel kris stamp from Buckeye engraving that I'm trying out, which I think I really like. He didn't want a crown and elected for rounds in stag or elk, generally i think stag is a little nicer but I think between the elk thatI have compared to the stag have on hand I think the elk may be a bit nicer only because it has a slight oval cross section verses a round cross section and it doesn't have a pith hole that needs to be covered or filled. Her are some photos for you.

Four, four inch drop points ready for heat treating then handle assembly.
    IMG_2487.jpeg IMG_2488.jpeg

The third photo shows the new Kris stamp.
    IMG_2489.jpeg

Here are 4 pieces of stag for the handles. Although I may use Elk, truth of the matter is I think the elk I have is equal if not better the these four pieces of stag.
    IMG_2490.jpeg

Here is side by side stag vs elk, the elk has a bit of an oval shape cross section where the stag is round, which is one of the reasons I like the elk.
    IMG_2494.jpeg

And last the stag has a pith hole that needs to be plugged or filled. IMG_2492.jpeg a

Anyhow this is the model #27 spacer pattern. And the last photo is the last knife I made for Mack. ab0b00deadfd1ef266689dffb42f582d.jpg IMG_1978.jpeg

Rupestris, AntDog, David Mary and 5 others like this.
  2. Mack

Mack Expert Ultracrepidarian Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    As much as I love mine I know these are going to be outstanding. Mine has gone everywhere with me lately. I can't stop showing it off.

Scott Hanson, AntDog and David Mary like this.
  3. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Scott, your work is a cut above.

Scott Hanson likes this.
  4. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Those are gonna be fantastic. I love the knife you made for Mack. It’s gorgeous. :thumbsup:

Scott Hanson and Mack like this.
  5. Scott Hanson

Sep 6, 2014
    Thank you for the kind words everyone, I will keep you posted on these.

Mack and David Mary like this.
  6. Scott Hanson

Sep 6, 2014
    Got back out to the shop today and made some progress on the set of four. I got the guards all slotted and fit last night and all of the spacers cut and fit. Just need to fit and drill the handles then get them off to the heat treater. The black line is about where I'm going to cut the handles to size to keep the tang to within 3/4" of an inch from the bottom and the red dots on the tangs are going to be where I drill the pin holes. A7FB74C2-7D7C-4A35-813F-49F8EA114D9F_1_201_a.jpeg

7. Mack

Aug 19, 2007
    Those are going to be amazing.

Scott Hanson likes this.
  8. Scott Hanson

Sep 6, 2014
    I'm glad you think so Mack, there will be a little added feature on these, I'm going to keep it a surprise.

Mack likes this.
  9. Mack

Aug 19, 2007
    You've got my attention.

Scott Hanson likes this.