Review Fox FX-528 Tur

rl2gQlc.jpg

Just over a week ago it was my birthday and I traveled to the next city to buy myself a new Spyderco. Well to cut a long story short they didn't have the one I wanted in stock. But instead I found this little gem for 40% off. The regular price was $310 CAD. ($234usd) Making it $186 CAD ($140.41usd)
I've been wanting a fine Italian made knife for sometime and have been mostly looking at Lionsteel, but honestly Fox for some reason hadn't really crossed my radar. At the regular price I probably would have kept walking to save my cash. So I'm grateful the sale opened the door for me to own a fantastic little knife!

VR9cazp.jpg

This knife was designed by the famous Danish knife maker Jesper Voxnaes, who has done work for Spyderco, boker, ckrt, and of course Fox.
I'm not sure what the relationship between boker and fox is, but you can purchase the knife directly from boker. In both the premium CF/Elmax/titanium. Or in the more wallet friendly G10/N690Co/steel as shown below (Hopefully the pic works)

FOX-TUR-Folder-G10.jpg

(Pic borrowed from Google)

7MrC55C.jpg

Basic stats:
  • Blade Length:2.875"
  • Blade Thickness:0.14"
  • Blade Material:Elmax
  • Handle Material:Carbon Fiber
  • Overall Length:7.00"
  • Titanium clip & back spacer
cC3vm9P.jpg

Overall impressions:

The action of this knife is smooth as butter. It's running on phosphor bronze washers and IMHO the detente is perfect. I've seen people complain that you can't slow roll open the knife. But for me the detente pops the the knife open with almost no effort and feels clean and crisp so it's actually a selling feature to me.

Q1z7JbJ.jpg

The knife is in that smaller but not tiny category. As you can see the handle is a little shorter then a PM3 but offers up almost the same amount of cutting edge.

u0JhfdL.jpg

The contours of the handle fit the hand well and it actually feels much larger then it actually is. There is jimping on top of the blade but the scales are flush with them so you don't actually get the best grip on it.

ncwI7Lf.jpg

The walker style liner lock is well cut and the lock up is great!

roWlw6W.jpg

WAOvrSe.jpg

To top it all off the knife comes with it's own hand made Italian leather case. The leather is very soft and it smells great!!!

The BAD!!!!...:confused::thumbsdown:

r4UsOON.jpg

Bdk8ivZ.jpg

As I was editing pics I found a strange line in the scale. Upon further inspection it turned out to be a crack in the CF scale (Might also be a inclusion). I haven't dropped the knife, and when I carried it the knife was in the pouch. I believe it was there when I bought the knife but I didn't notice it. I posted about it on FB and a scale maker who works with CF believes they didn't use enough resin as you can see voids in the scales.

Fortunately Fox is willing to give me a brand new knife!:thumbsup: The only headache is being Canadian and sending something across the boarder is super risky. It's why I buy locally in the first place as I think having a knife seized would be too heart breaking for me.

Gn5Axof.jpg

Warranty issues aside this is a beautifully designed knife. The materials feel premium and Fox customer service has been excellent. I can't wait to get my new one in the mail as it is going to be in my EDC for a long long time. :cool:

Last edited:
I am sorry about your new knife, that's always aggravating to discover a flaw later when you're away from where you purchased the knife and possibly missed it due to "YAY! NEW KNIFE!" excitement. Definitely been there, done that a time or two. That said, these are absolutely killer pictures of this knife. I don't know much about Fox, but man, that is a classically beautiful knife. Good proportions, perfect amount of belly, drop-point, all in what appears to be a small, disappears-in-pocket package. And a discount definitely doesn't hurt!

I'm also glad to hear that Fox is taking care of you.

I am sorry about your new knife, that's always aggravating to discover a flaw later when you're away from where you purchased the knife and possibly missed it due to "YAY! NEW KNIFE!" excitement. Definitely been there, done that a time or two. That said, these are absolutely killer pictures of this knife. I don't know much about Fox, but man, that is a classically beautiful knife. Good proportions, perfect amount of belly, drop-point, all in what appears to be a small, disappears-in-pocket package. And a discount definitely doesn't hurt!

Thank you for the kind words. I was a little worried my pics were not showing up lol.

I'm pretty surprised by the following this knife has. I posted it on FB and i've been getting a lot of messages from people saying how they have been wanting one badly.

Thank you for the kind words. I was a little worried my pics were not showing up lol.

I'm pretty surprised by the following this knife has. I posted it on FB and i've been getting a lot of messages from people saying how they have been wanting one badly.

Well, I can tell you that you definitely scored a deal. That is a steal at the $140ish USD you paid, that is beyond dispute, I think.

Thanks for the review & great pics. I was looking at these as somewhat a competitor of the TRM's. Why aren't these getting any "looky-looky what I got" attention like the TRM Atom & Neutron? I think these look better IMO. Funny. :rolleyes::p:thumbsup:

Thanks for the review & great pics. I was looking at these as somewhat a competitor of the TRM's. Why aren't these getting any "looky-looky what I got" attention like the TRM Atom & Neutron? I think these look better IMO. Funny. :rolleyes::p:thumbsup:
I can't help but think the TRM has both a Nick and Cedric review, and also a wait list.

Good thing I don't make purchases based solely on Nick/Cedric reviews, and waiting lists. :cool:

Back