Fox Livri and Libar

Hi folks,
Recently I came across these new offerings from Fox knives in Italy. Seems like they are jumping on the 'modern take on a traditional' bandwagon and to be honest, they got me quite excited.
These knives sport M390 and are offered in 3 configurations: micarta, carbon fiber and ziricote for the Livri, whereas the ziricote is replaced with olive wood in the Libar. The wood version have liners, the micarta and cf versions are linerless. The price is what really amazed me for the materials you're getting.
I opted for micarta though the ziricote looks especially classy as well.

Here's both of them in closed position. Livri on the left and Libar on the right. Neither have any nailnicks, they're pinch to open.
GocIqdE.jpg

They both have a halfstop. Action is way better than on the Benchmade Proper, but less snappy than your regular Case.
frNd3rp.jpg

Here are the two of them in open position. The Libar has a nice clippoint with a slight recurve. The Livri has somewhat of a sheepsfoot blade with a pretty high grind which makes it a great slicer.
pB6jvjp.jpg

As I said, in this linerless configuration they're pretty thin with the Livri being the thinnest, coming close to an alox SAK cadet. Here they are compared to a sodbuster jr. The very nicely executed 'jimping' is nice to have. Eventhough the stock looks rather thick, the grind is thin, especially on the Livri. They slice nicely.
KFdd8C2.jpg

The Libar's scales have somewhat of a sodbuster look, yet the clip blade makes it totally different. It's a broader clip than most of my older Barlows or Jacks seem to have. Here are some size comparisons with a Case Sodbuster Jr., Camillus Barlow and a Case '70s Jack.
Z5AtRHB.jpg

The Livri on the other hand comes close bladeshapewise to a Proper. Yet it' s ground thinner and slices better. Maybe it's less sturdy compared to the Proper due to it being linerless but that's usually not a quality I look for in a slipjoint anyway. Here's the Livri next to an Opinel 6, a SAK Pioneer and the Benchmade Proper.
oGBW0ek.jpg

Anyway, I thought some of you might enjoy to see these since there's not yet too much info about these on the forum. For me, they're really nice knives with excellent materials for an even better pricepoint.

Cheers!

Thanks for the review! Both seem to capture the “modern take” aspect because they don’t imitate a particular traditional pattern. The thickness behind the edge is a significant concern for me in a slipjoint, since it’s used will more often depend upon slicing ability over sturdiness of blade for “hard use.”

Hi folks,
Recently I came across these new offerings from Fox knives in Italy. Seems like they are jumping on the 'modern take on a traditional' bandwagon and to be honest, they got me quite excited.
These knives sport M390 and are offered in 3 configurations: micarta, carbon fiber and ziricote for the Livri, whereas the ziricote is replaced with olive wood in the Libar. The wood version have liners, the micarta and cf versions are linerless. The price is what really amazed me for the materials you're getting.

Here's both of them in closed position. Livri on the left and Libar on the right. Neither have any nailnicks, they're pinch to open.
GocIqdE.jpg

They both have a halfstop. Action is way better than on the Benchmade Proper, but less snappy than your regular Case.
frNd3rp.jpg

Here are the two of them in open position. The Libar has a nice clippoint with a slight recurve. The Livri has somewhat of a sheepsfoot blade with a pretty high grind which makes it a great slicer.
pB6jvjp.jpg

As I said, in this linerless configuration they're pretty thin with the Livri being the thinnest, coming close to an alox SAK cadet. Here they are compared to a sodbuster jr. The very nicely executed 'jimping' is nice to have. Eventhough the stock looks rather thick, the grind is thin, especially on the Livri. They slice nicely.
KFdd8C2.jpg

The Libar's scales have somewhat of a sodbuster look, yet the clip blade makes it totally different. It's a broader clip than most of my older Barlows or Jacks seem to have. Here are some size comparisons with a Case Sodbuster Jr., Camillus Barlow and a Case '70s Jack.
Z5AtRHB.jpg

The Livri on the other hand comes close bladeshapewise to a Proper. Yet it' s ground thinner and slices better. Maybe it's less sturdy compared to the Proper due to it being linerless but that's usually not a quality I look for in a slipjoint anyway. Here's the Livri next to an Opinel 6, a SAK Pioneer and the Benchmade Proper.
oGBW0ek.jpg

Anyway, I thought some of you might enjoy to see these since there's not yet too much info about these on the forum. For me, they're really nice knives with excellent materials for an even better pricepoint.

Cheers!

- very nice indeed :thumbsup: They have good rep here in UK

Like lionSTEEL, Viper have come up with a method of production that is effective in all ways - producing an alluring folder that offers superb vfm

Modern high-end materials, yet a more traditional looking knife than the Lionsteel offerings. Good job, Fox! I hope they expand their offerings and maybe hit on a design that I like. Something to keep an eye on. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the review! Both seem to capture the “modern take” aspect because they don’t imitate a particular traditional pattern. The thickness behind the edge is a significant concern for me in a slipjoint, since it’s used will more often depend upon slicing ability over sturdiness of blade for “hard use.”

Compared to a Proper these are definitely more slicy. They are ground way thinner behind the edge even though the spine has a relatively thick stock. Definetly on par with the Camillus Barlow for example yet maybe not as slicy as an Opinel, but what is?

Some nice "traditional materials" there - CF, M390?:confused:
I don't see a problem with these offerings.
From our guidelines:
"We give leeway on materials of construction. So if you have a nice stockman with G10 covers, it's traditional enough for us. After all, plastics have been used on knife handles since the 1800's. Stainless steel has been used in cutlery since the 1920's, so stainless is considered traditional. And even though PM alloys are new developments, that fella in the mid-1960's would never know the difference if he were looking at the knife, so they are OK, too."

Great information. Please post again soon with updates on how you like the performance of each model.

Does anyone have a clue as to whether Fox will offer more patterns? I only bought one LionSteel modern traditional, and might do the same with Fox. I don't intend to get sucked in to collecting them.

A abcdef - a slightly more contemporary pattern with traditional roots, yet still a slipjoint, is the Vox Key by Viper. These are knives out of the knifemaking centre where Fox, lionSTEEL and Viper all produce - Maniago, Italy

They have a range of finishes, but there's one with filework and Bronze Carbon Fibre - it's a real stunner

https://www.collectorknives.net/product-category/viper-knives/viper-key/

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 13.02.50.png Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 13.02.32.png

If the blade was more proud when closed and thereby capable of pinch-pull opening........I'd have one in a shot...

An easily applied ez open notch on that Livre would make it really "old arthritic hands friendly". Thanks for the update.--KV

Hi folks,

GocIqdE.jpg

frNd3rp.jpg

pB6jvjp.jpg

KFdd8C2.jpg

Z5AtRHB.jpg

oGBW0ek.jpg

Cheers!

thank you so much! Linerless slipjoints are my favorite knives to carry. They are rare as hens teeth so I will be trying these out!

if anyone knows where they might be in stock please PM me!

The Livri definitely interests me. I like small, lightweight knives, and this might fit the bill. I love my Jim Dunlap gents trapper, but I don't always want to carry such a small (easily lose-able) knife that's so expensive. My AG Russell 3" lockback or G.Sakai Preppy is a fantastic, extremely unobtrusive (impossibly light and thin) is great to have on me, but not the most ergonomical for daily use. And the Moki Fish Owl's black micarta handles look and feel like cheap plastic, even though the knife is fantastically made.

Does anybody now that the design flaw with the Livri has been corrected? people were leaving comments after purchase that
the blade was making contact with the lanyard hole and leaving a dent.

The ones in my OP never had that issue. Just checked to make sure, nothing to see there.

The Italians are knocking it out of the park. I prefer Viper to Lionsteel but both are great. I’ll have to give FOX a try. If I’m not mistaken, FOX won the “manufacturing award” at BLADE

Many thanks indeed for your review, a great deal to like here: original, quality look to construction and an admirable steel. Particularly like that Leaf blade on the Livri, have to see if there are other micarta colours or maybe the wood? Now I've got something to order & look forward to :D

Just got the Livri today from a Finnish dealer and wanted to post initial impressions.
Really pleased with the knife,linerless gives strength but saves weight, in terms of size I find it ideal. It's compact yes but not flimsy or toy like,the blade is nicely broad & super sharp. I,ve heard tell of some being weakly sprung,certainly not and the half stop is sure and stout whereas opening is no problem-pinch. Regarding build quality, very high - blade centre,zero play,well finished handles(whose ergonomics are top)in a nice Green micarta. Only criticism is slight gap between spring &scales on one side but hard to avoid on linerless.Build is not at Moki level,but who is?The Moki Fish Owl is remarkable but its micarta scales are like L P vinyl...unappealing,not so the Fox. The Fox cost about 78 € incl delivery to a locker. I suspect U S consumers might get it cheaper but a very fair price for a very fair knife.

Thanks, Will

Back