1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

frame lock folder

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by smt96797, Oct 10, 2012.

1. smt96797

smt96797

Oct 6, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm new to posting here, but I've been watching YouTube videos and looking around the forums for a bit so I thought I'd get some opinions from you guys.

I like the design of the titanium frame lock knives and I'm looking to buy my first knife +$150. I'm looking for a blade steel with good edge retention that's about 3.5-4 in. and will hold a good edge with daily use of cutting cardboard boxes. I'm kinda leaning toward the strider sng in cpm 154. Let me know what you guys think.....

2. darkaether

darkaether

Dec 23, 2006
    a thinner blade could probably cut cardboard a lot better if that is the main or roughest thing you will do with it

3. smt96797

smt96797

Oct 6, 2012
    Never really thought about thickness. I'm mostly looking for a good looking knife that will keep its edge. The strider design just caught my eye while looking around. What knives would you recommend?

4. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    Zero Tolerance ZT550, ZT560, ZT300, Kershaw Tilt

Spyderco Titanium Military, Tuff, Lionspy

DPx HEST 2.0

Grayman Satu

Boker Epicenter

Hinderer XM-18, XM-24

CRK Sebenza 21, Umnumzaan

Lionsteel SR-1

to start you off with, besides the Striders.

5. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    If you are going to be cutting cardboard you will want something thinner than an SnG for sure. :)

CRK Umnumzaan.

Spyderco Military

6. smt96797

smt96797

Oct 6, 2012
    Hinderer definitely out of the price range. Do you guys own any knives in d2 steel? If so, how do you like it?

7. smt96797

smt96797

Oct 6, 2012
    Btw, not a big fan of recurve or tanto blades.

8. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    I have a custom framelock in CPM-D2, it gets amazingly sharp and is practically almost as corrosion-resistant as stainless.

9. smt96797

smt96797

Oct 6, 2012
    I'm liking that umnumzaan.... what a strange name, but good looking knife. I was actually watching your vid on it earlier but I guess I overlooked it

10. smt96797

smt96797

Oct 6, 2012
    I feel like such a noob asking this, but if both the large sebenza and the umnumzaan were in s30v do you guys prefer one over the other?

11. BLK

BLK

Mar 22, 2010
    I like D2, it will hold a sharp edge for VERY long time especially when you only use it to cut cardboard. I have a griptiliant in D2 and I did a lots of cardboard with it and be honest i haven't sharpen it yet!

12. fatherhudson

fatherhudson

Apr 3, 2012
    The umnumzaan is supposed to be more of a 'tactical' or 'hard use' design than the sebenza but honestly i think they're both pretty damm sturdy. It really gets down to your aesthetic preference. Personally i find the sebenza more attractive but to each their own. The biggest differences (besides the look) are things like the pivot: they beefed it up on the umnumzaan so supposedly it's sturdier. I honestly can't even begin to imagine breaking the pivot on a regular sebenza so that doesn't make any kind of difference to me.

Others will (of course) disagree with me. each knife has its fans.

My favorite ti framelocks are the zero tolerance 0550 and 0561. They both give me way more pleasure than a sebenza and you can make them your own by changing the scales to a look/color of your choice. Another one to consider is the the spyderco sage 2. I've got one on it's way and i've heard nothing but good things about the quality (also, it's a lot cheaper at ~$170 and definitely a more practical EDC than the ZT's). If you want something on the smaller side with incredible fit and finish consider the spyderco techno. I haven't handled one yet but i love the way they look.

13. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    how about the lionsteel SR-1 or spyderco lionspy.

14. smt96797

smt96797

Oct 6, 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm really liking this knife forum

15. canyon56

canyon56

Jun 7, 2012
    I would also take a look at the Spyderco Techno.

16. ddml

ddml

Nov 4, 2009
    Unless you are dead set on bigger blades, consider a Spyderco Sage 2.
    Really good bang for your buck and a hell of a slicer.
    It is the mid-priced lovechild of a Sebenza and an sNg.

17. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    You might also want to look at the A G Russell Acies 2. It's a smaller framelock than you mentioned but the blade is solid ZDP189 and should work well for slicing. If you can find one on the secondary market, the original Acies might be closer to the size you want.

Personally, I use a box cutter for cardboard but that's just me :).

18. smt96797

smt96797

Oct 6, 2012
    :) I guess I could use a box cutter for cardboard instead of a knife, but i prefer enjoying what I'm doing and having a nice, quality cutting tool. I know I'm not the only one, but when I'm bored I like to play with my knives and cut stuff just to see how sharp it is

19. smt96797

smt96797

Oct 6, 2012
    Does anyone else have an eye on the spyderco southard flipper? That sounds like an interesting little piece. titanium frame lock, cts 204p, looks to be between 3.5-4 in. blade

20. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2007
    Why not one of the Rexford / Böker collabs? They're in your pricerange. Good steel (VG-10) and Titanium framelock. Just about the right size too.

[​IMG]