Fred Carter Spectrum

What do you guys think of the Fred Carter Spectrum? It looks great, at least for a show piece.

IMO, it struck me as a POS, for your money get a CRKT Mirage with aluminum handles, although, that's not supposed to be the best knife money can buy either.
wink.gif

The Carter knives make a distinctive *TwanG* when the liner ingages.

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

The Spectrum is by no means a POS.
It has aircraft aluminum handles, AUS8A blade (which can be sharpened to a razor edge),opens with ease, passes the "whack test" and does a pretty good job at cutting and edgeholding.

There are not to many other knives that are this light,durable,and nice looking for around $35.

It is not a heavy duty knife, but is was not made for this purpose. As a lightweight, light use knife you might want to check it out.

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

I agree with Jailhack, the Spectrum is a very very good knife at the price. Sure, the liner could be thicker, but for what it is, it's very nice indeed.

I just don't know why people seem to like the yellow ones better than any other color.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

It works for me. I liked them so much I picked up the line.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

I thought it looked great for the price. I also have the Mirage which was a great knife for the price.

The new Fred Carter Adventure is looking pretty good too. It is a linerlock. Partially serrated AUS-8 blade with bead blast finish and thumb stud. Black Kraton finger grooved handles with green aluminum insert. Metal belt/pocket Clip. Lanyard hole. Designed by Fred Carter. Opinions on this knife.

Tom,

The Adventurer line is a larger knife than the Spectrum. It has finger groove handles, a larger and much thicker blade, with a "spine file cut" for your thumb. This is more of a utility knife than the Spectrum, which I consider to be a gentleman's pocket knife.

Again, as with the Spectrum it is a very good knife for the money.

E-mail me if you are interested in one of these as I have a couple at great prices.

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

I have to agree with Jailhack and the other positive comments. Both the Spectrumand the Adventurer are outstanding values. As others have stated, the Spectrum is NOT a heavy duty knife, nor is it advertised as such. it is a great gentleman's knife and would work very well with a business suit. Fit and finish are excellent and it was very sharp out of the box. The Adventurer is also an excellent value. It is a heavier, sturdier knife than the Spectrum and also had very good fit and finish and was very sharp out of the box. Also has a very comfortable handle design. My only complaint with these knives is the clip design but I'm spoiled by Spyderco and Benchmade in that department.

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

The Adventurer struck me as a nicer peice though. When I tried out a Spectrum, though, I was just unimpressed with the comfort level, and I guess I just don't really like colors. But the liner *twang* amused me! It made me open and close the knife about 20 times just for the heck of it.

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

I have a little blue Spectrum - one of the ones my wife has claimed for her self.

It is a good little knife for light duty. Can take a serious razor edge and holds it pretty good for its work load.
The only gripe I have is the clip is too low - riding the knife too high in the pocket.

I would like to get an Adventurer...

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

The Gigand knives, which are not knockoffs, are available wholesale from WOW and some other distributors, and also from Double8, which also imports and wholesales knockoffs of a whole bunch of well known manufacturers and custom makers.

Is Gigand a division or sibling of Double8?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Gigand is run by Paul Wuu. Double 8 is owned by Henry Lee. Double 8 does a lot of business with Paul and makes some of there designs through him.

Dealers who buy from WOW will get a link on www.gigandknives.com.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Back