Fred Perrin FB04

BOK

Just wondering what long time users think of this blade. I was playing with one at the store today and now I know why there were/are so many good reviews on this blade. I am seriously considering picking it up tomorrow.

Lightweight, flat ground, sharp as hek and that balance point right by the choil is just a thing of beauty. I knew it was going to be a cool knife from everything I'd read about it but after handling it I like it even more.

The only thing, as others have noted, is that the stock sheath isn't all that pleasing. Needs to have something IWB to do it justice IMO.

Hey BOK

The Perrin has been my long time camping knife for canoe tripping. I had some reservations about the ability of the sheath to hold the knife in place but so far it has nver fallen out. It is a great all round camping knife for just about anything you will come across. I personally don't chop fire wood, I use a foding saw...much safer and more dfficient.

I'll probably be picking one up as well. They have been discontinued.

shootist16 said:
I'll probably be picking one up as well. They have been discontinued.

I believe its only the black bladed version that discontinued. SFO was offering them at an amazing deal but now they're sold out. I wish I got on that sooner.

My bad. I see that its been discontinued for '05. :footinmou

I still love mine, but I don't carry it too often. When I do carry it, it rides in an IWB sheath from Mike Sastre. Since it has been discontinued, I think I might pick up a second. Not for collection reasons, but for use.

How do you like your IWB sheath?

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of it posted would you?

They are indeed great knives. I carry mine in an IWB sheath from OnScene/Tactical. I highly reccomend that you pick one up.

Excellent! Thanks all.

The Sastre sheath looks awesome but I'll more than likely go with something from Eric. I have one of his concealex belt sheaths for a Chinook and his work is the best I've had the pleasure of owning so far.

Got any pics by chance James?

James Muehlner said:
I don't have any ATM, but I will take some tomorrow, when the lighting is better.

Thanks a lot.

Just got home and have been playing around with it. My Nimravus just feels like deadweight next to the Perrin. It's so balanced and lively by comparison.

Now for an aftermarket sheath and this may be the first FB ever for me to potentially make it into an EDC rotation.

Definitely need to get a second one of these.

Got a question - what is the safest way of holding the FB04? Is it wrapping the index finger around the choil and the thumb flat on the spine of the blade? Or is it focusing on the last three fingres gripping the handle?

The context of my question is that I find the first method doesnt seem to give me a very secure grip betewen my first 2 fingers (not a whole llot for the index finger to grip onto), and what happened was that my index finger accidentally slipped onto the blade slightly - which was a litle hairy for me, given how unbelievably sharp the FB04 is.

The second method doesnt seem so secure either because of the swell of the handle which doesnt seem to give my last 3 finger as good a grip as I would like. I apologise if this is an amateur's question, but this is a knife I really like, and would want to know how to use properly, hence this query.

Thanks for reading this post.

I have no problem with gripping the knife the way you first mentioned it. The knife feels secure but then again I only just got mine.

Not sure what the second method is that you're referring to so can't comment.

Pictures of the sheath.
perrinsheath7.jpg

perrinsheath5.jpg

perrinsheath1.jpg

For whatever reason, the knife is not in the sheath in the first picture. That's the factory sheath it's propped up against.

BOK said:
Just wondering what long time users think of this blade. I was playing with one at the store today and now I know why there were/are so many good reviews on this blade. I am seriously considering picking it up tomorrow.

Lightweight, flat ground, sharp as hek and that balance point right by the choil is just a thing of beauty. I knew it was going to be a cool knife from everything I'd read about it but after handling it I like it even more.

The only thing, as others have noted, is that the stock sheath isn't all that pleasing. Needs to have something IWB to do it justice IMO.
I bought a Perrin when it first came out a few years ago. Overall, I think the Perrin is one of the best SD and utility blades around. The knife is an amazing cutter and is increadibly light weight. Since learning that the Perrin was to be discontinued, I bought another one yesterday...it's that good of a knife. It really is my favorite fixed blade SD knife. I'm really sad to see it leaving Spyderco's lineup.

The factory sheath is crap. The Tek lock is nice though. I'm going to have some kydex made up for mine one day.

Back