Frederick Dick of Germany aka F. Dick?

In no way am I an expert on culinary tools or kitchen cutlery per se but I do think I have some decent stuff and I was wanting to get you guy's opinion of it.

First of all back around 6 years ago I had an account with a restuarant supply company locally where I live and while I had the account I bought a few items from them. Most of the items I got are made by Frederick Dick or F. Dick as they are known in the industry out of Germany.

I got almost all of the butcher steels they made at the time and still have those. Now I've heard from some knowledgable people in the trade that F. Dick's steels are the best in the industry. If they are not I would like to know who's is better. I also got one of their meat clevers and several of their culinary knives.

So far all of the F. Dick products I got are very satisfactory to me and what I've done with them. I love quality tools to work with. So please tell me what you all know about their stuff if you would.

Now I've heard that a lot of the high end Japanese stuff is even better than a lot of the items from the F. Dick line up. I truly would like to know what I can about them. I still have wholesale access to get more later if I find anything else I need.

F. Dick is wonderful stuff. Their steels are easily the best in the industry, owing in part to their history in file manufacture. They produce many styles that no one else still does. My personal knives in the kitchen are all F. Dicks, and they've pushed my Vic/Forschners out of the way. They use the same steel Forschner does (from what I've been able to fine) but they seem to do an even better job with the heat treatment and I find their ergonomics to be phenomenal. The ones I use most personally are their ErgoGrip 9" extra-wide "trimming knife" which I use instead of a chef's knife and their 3" ProDynamic paring knife. When butchering our meat rabbits I use their poultry and rabbit knife (wonderful for the task!) for doing the bleeding, skinning, gutting, and removing the head/paws and I use their 5" stiff angled boning knife for doing the processing once I bring the carcass inside.

Tons of bang for the buck with quality designs meant for all-day professional use. Love 'em. They don't get nearly enough attention if you ask me.

F. Dick is wonderful stuff. Their steels are easily the best in the industry, owing in part to their history in file manufacture.

Tons of bang for the buck with quality designs meant for all-day professional use. Love 'em. They don't get nearly enough attention if you ask me.

That last sentence you said is so true>> they don't get a lot of recognition for whatever reason. When I got that wholesale account for a business I was in at the time I just wanted a really good "Steel" for sharpening and realigning my blades and the guy at the Wholesale House said that the F. Dick steels really didn't have any competition to speak of in that area at all and they are the undisputed best in the industry. Since I've gotten all of those F. Dick steels I've tried other brands that I've gotten at estate sales and through trades but none of them so far hold a candle to F. Dick's quality. Their smooth Poliron steel is like running your blade over wet ice. But it sure realigns an edge perfectly. Their Dick Mulitcut steel is one like I've never ever tried before. It's one sharpening steel that actually somewhat abrades the metal in a very meticulous way. It will take a big fixed blade knife that is somewhat sharp and it will make it as sharp as a straight razor when you're done.

Like you said as good as their overall quality is they seem to get hardly no praise or attention at all from knife people here in the USA. But I'm here to tell you that people involved with food, restaurants or meat processing sure speak well of them. And they have one great selection of culinary and meat processing tools. Most all of their stuff is German made and it sure holds up well under hard use.

I think that their name and their almost entire lack of advertising have kept them from gaining a larger following in North America to date. I like to tell folks that only people who have never tried the knives snicker at the name. F. Dick makes some serious workhorses that garner respect from pretty much anyone that gets their hands on them.

I agree with your assessment on their Poliron steel--the "wet ice" analogy exactly describes how it feels to use it. An absolutely flawless polish without any grooves whatsoever is tough to find, let alone in an oval profile like that one. Their Multicut is great in that it's effectively two "grits" in one surface. Hard pressure really helps restore a badly worn or damaged edge and then light pressure brings it back to screaming sharp. Love 'em. :cool::thumbup:

I"m telling you FortyTwoBlades that F. Dick Multicut Steel is truly one of a kind. I've looked at dozens if not hundreds of sharpening steels made by a wide array of companies and I've never found anything like that Multicut steel. Just last summer I had a friend of mine without knowing what I paid for it offer me significantly more than what I had paid for it wholesale>> I told him that it was one of my tools that was not for sale under any circumstances. It's just that good.

I had been using a Victorinox/Forchner boning knife for years in the kitchen until I got one from F. Dick during that same purchase>> and let me tell you I have a lot of respect for Victorinox and I do believe that they give a good product for what you pay and their multitool (SWISS TOOL) is still my favorite>> But that F. Dick boning knife holds and edge and cuts much better than the Victorinox does >> and I still consider Victorinox decent quality and still have some of their tools. Only Spyderco and F. Dick make up the culinary tools I currently own and use a lot.

I've been wanting to get that folder that F. Dick has in their catalog which is called the Sausage Knife. I've heard it's one of the most wicked edged knives for as thin as it is in the whole industry. I do think that when I get me a complete set of chef's knives and other culinary tools I'm going to go back to that Wholesale house and get all F. Dick stuff>> even if I have to pay retail I'll still get it a little at a time. Because F. Dick is even better than J.A Henckels in my opinion which had been my favorite kitchen knife for years until I got all the F. Dick tools.

I would love to see them start a line of good folders and fixed blades. I bet they could even give Fallkniven a run for their money.

I, too, would love to see their take on outdoors knives. Just do a bunch of stuff using the ErgoGrip handles but in black or an olive drab color with simple nylon sheaths and they'd probably sell like crazy. :) A German Mora if you will.

I, too, would love to see their take on outdoors knives. Just do a bunch of stuff using the ErgoGrip handles but in black or an olive drab color with simple nylon sheaths and they'd probably sell like crazy. :) A German Mora if you will.

I"m telling you FTB that if they did that they would have more business selling outdoor cutlery and big game processing equipment than they would be able to handle short term. Another item of interest concerning the F. Dick company is that almost everything of theirs is super functional, easy to use, has a targeted specific use for each and every knife and tool they sell And even though it's not in the bargain basement price range like Victorinox, Russell and Forchner it's still priced very competitively when you factor in the superb quality of their tools.

You know it even baffles me that so far no one except you and I so far are even saying anything about F. Dick's products on this thread. It's almost like they are a hidden trade secret or something to that effect or that they are a treasure hidden in plain view. The proof is there because everyone I let use one of my F. Dick steels or knives or other kitchen tools I have made by them always generates a ton of compliments. I know that they mainly target market the restuarant and meat cutting tradesmen but as good as their stuff is they could penetrate many different markets. When you consider all the current rave in the past 3 years or so about the "Scandi" knives and their growing popularity because of their good quality for the price>> if they would try some of F. Dick's meat cutting and general use knives they would quickly lose interest in the Scandi blades I'm sure in spite of the price differential.

Even though people like Frost Mora being a lot like Victorinox giving people a lot for their money. But most people here on Bladeforums and other similar websites for knife afficionados do indeed draw people that tend to be much more quality minded than they would being bargain basement/ Rip-Mart types. With that being said if there was a way to get their name more recognized I truly think that their quality would sell itself just like many of these other great knife producers here on BF. Because the Rip-Mart crowd really doesn't care much for what we care for and that's a fact.

Last edited:
Hey, JD, I'll jump in on the steel thread. I have a decent F Dick that I bought a couple of years ago. I actually just took some pics of it over the weekend and was thinking of posting a thread too, so I'll post them here on yours. I'm surprised there aren't more replies also. A good steel can be a thing of beauty, as well as a useful tool, just like a knife can. I'd like to see pics of those ones you have if you get around to taking some.

I don't really use the steel all that much, but all I had was this ancient 50 cent yard sale beater, so I decided to find a real one. What little research I did all said that the F Dick was pretty much the industry standard, so that is what I went with. I think mine was made in the 80s, and I really didn't have to pay that much, considering the high quality. It's very well made and I've been very satisfied with it.

JT

DSCN2503.jpg

These old Old Hickories are about as fancy as it gets around my kitchen
DSCN2505.jpg

Moras are great and I love 'em for wood carving, but full flat grinds are generally my preferred grind. I've been waiting for years for Mora to come out with a full flat ground model but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. I see F. Dick as having the potential for being the corner of a trinity if they so chose. They strike me as very similar to Mora and Victorinox in their quality, value, and market specialization. F. Dick just needs to introduce sporting knives and they'd fit right in.

Guitar1580--that's a beauty of a steel!

Moras are great and I love 'em for wood carving, but full flat grinds are generally my preferred grind. I've been waiting for years for Mora to come out with a full flat ground model but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. I see F. Dick as having the potential for being the corner of a trinity if they so chose. They strike me as very similar to Mora and Victorinox in their quality, value, and market specialization. F. Dick just needs to introduce sporting knives and they'd fit right in.

Guitar1580--that's a beauty of a steel!

IF most companies made their products half as good as F. Dick's sharpening steels they would have staggering success. I've heard a lot of good things about the high end Japanese cutlery for professional restuarants and meat cutting tradesmen and I'm sure they are good. But F. Dick can stand up to any of them I'm sure quality wise.

Like I said earlier no other company even comes a close second to F. Dick in the market of "sharpening steels". In that market as well as cutlery for professional tradesmen I don't see anyone in F. Dick's rear view mirror.

75DD8FC6-0433-4760-9C02-730D99DD593C-3614-0000048A61DDB01C_zps34cd1af3.jpg

I have TWO Dicks snicker snicker couldn't resist. No they really are the best. I was a butcher for four years and worked as a sheep skinner for a few years before that. The wood handle one is slick as snot the black is the multi. It's the only steel most people would ever need.

A professional meat cutter came into my friend's machine shop a few years back to get his aluminum knife scabbard repaired and he had a "Beaver tail" Dick steel. His knife was very sharp, but according to him he needed to steel it some more before going back to work. It was a very nice looking steel. John

Yeah those big fat ones are pricy (as far as steels go) but SO worth it. I'll be picking one up for myself fairly soon, as well as carrying them. I have a fondness for knives that are soft enough to be steeled, as the edge retention is still more than good enough and they're able to withstand a lot of rough use. Sharpening is nice and easy, and a good quality steel makes the job even easier. :)

I've been wanting to get that folder that F. Dick has in their catalog which is called the Sausage Knife. I've heard it's one of the most wicked edged knives for as thin as it is in the whole industry. I do think that when I get me a complete set of chef's knives and other culinary tools I'm going to go back to that Wholesale house and get all F. Dick stuff>> even if I have to pay retail I'll still get it a little at a time. Because F. Dick is even better than J.A Henckels in my opinion which had been my favorite kitchen knife for years until I got all the F. Dick tools.

I would love to see them start a line of good folders and fixed blades. I bet they could even give Fallkniven a run for their money.

I removed my earlier stuff re EDC and non Kitchen blades and posted a new thread in Bernard Levine's Knife Collecting and Identification forum.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/f...-Levine-s-Knife-Collecting-amp-Identification

The Friedr. Dick Sausage Tasting Knife is a folding knife that fits in the pocket. With a 4" blade it can easily pass through even the hardest of sausages with ease. The built-in clip firmly holds the pen-style knife in the desired position in your pocket. Freidr. Dick doesn't fool around. This knife is of the same quality blade material (molybdenum vanadium) that the full-size knives are made of... a cutting tool that exceeds the highest of quality standards such as the polished laser-tested cutting edge and the pearlesque plastic handle.
Product code: 8 2001 11. There are two versions both with a pen clip - one single bladed and another degustation version with a folding fork and spoon as well as long blade (see bottom of page 47 in catalog link http://www.dick.de/downloads/Kataloge/Katalog2008protect.pdf.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For reference, the steel used is X55CrMo14, which is the same stuff that Victorinox uses. I find F. Dick does a slightly better heat treatment than Victorinox does, which is quite the feat!

For reference, the steel used is X55CrMo14, which is the same stuff that Victorinox uses. I find F. Dick does a slightly better heat treatment than Victorinox does, which is quite the feat!

I found this and edited to include:
Steels used:

From here http://www.cheftalk.com/a/friedr-dick-blade-manufacturing-process

Overview of F. Dick Blades

Knife Series Blade Composition

1778 Double X VG12

1893 FD VG 10-33

1905 XCrMoVMn

Premier Plus chrome-molybdenum-Vanadium-steel X50CrMoV15

Eurasia chrome-molybdenum-Vanadium-steel X50CrMoV15

Superior X55CrMo14

Pro Dynamic X55CrMo14

EUROCUT DlCromanganium X46CrMn13

Asiacut high alloyed German steel X50CrMoV15

Ergogrip X55CrMo14

Mastergrip X55CrMo14

Sanigrip X55CrMo14

In the catalog they actually provide details of more than 3 different steels used in different ranges:
"Double X VG 12" carbon steel in their high end 1778 series with 61HRC and with an "ultra fine layer of high alloy carbon" steel core sandwiched in food grade stainless;

Damascus 33 layers "FD VG 10-33" in their high end 1893 series, this sound very similar to Japanese VG 10 damascus;

X50CrMoV15 highrange forged Premier Plus series "high quality alloy";

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/846007-X50CrMoV15-knowledge-about-it and
http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/articles/kkchoser/kksteelp2.shtml

X50CrMoV15 - German steel. Very stain resistant. Other than that not much to speak of. The cryptic X50CrMoV15 stands for 0.5% carbon, the other 15% is composed of 14% or 14.5% of Cr, some Mo and V. X in the name is a an indicator for high alloy steel, 0.5% C content means, by definition X50CrMoV15 isn't a high carbon steel, despite of some marketing claims. In fact it has less C content compared to 440C steel. However, it's plenty tough and resists corrosion well and it is a high alloy steel. If you don't want to bother maintaining your knives this is a good choice. Except for the low edge holding ability of course. In the end, you end up sharpening it a lot more often, so low maintenance statement is really arguable. Used by Wusthof, Victorinox and others in their high end knives. Ref - X50CrMoV15 Steel Composition. If you are interested, you cn also read up on DIN And EN Steel Standards Naming Conventions.

"XCrMoVMn" used in the 1905 series "best approved German stainles steel" stated in catalog, stamped blades from sheet with a "hardness of 55HRc on the Rockwell scale" according to http://www.trulynet.com/4820/Kitchen/sharp-and-sweet-knives-from-kuhn-rikon-and-f-dick/

They may use the X55CrMo14 in their cheaper lines and another steel mentioned again from
http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/articles/kkchoser/kksteelp2.shtml
X55CrMoV15 - Variation of 1.4116 steel. Pretty much the same, except for the slightly higher C content - 0.55%. Used by Messermeister. Not sure who else uses it. You can see the detailed differences in composition on this X55CrMoV15 vs. X50CrMoV15 steel composition comparison graph.

Last edited:
I have a question that I’ve been wanting a definite answer for years. I have a 30 plus year old f.dick sausage 30 lb maker...does anyone know what the actual cylinder is made of(metal type) where the meat actually goes into and gets pressed thru the machine.

I've had a 10" F.Dick chef knife for a good 15++ years. By far my favorite kitchen knife. I have a hand made 10" Japanese chef knife that cost 20 times my F. Dick. It's a razor and a work of art. But I always use my F. Dick.

A good friend gave me an old carbon steel 10-inch F. Dick chef a few years ago. Not sure when they quit making carbon steel knives but I know it was before the early 80's when i was one of their dealers. I have my share of high end Japanese knives but that F. Dick chef is as good as any of them.

Back