FREE T1 Mule's

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm Trying to refine my heat treat on this T1 I have. I am considering whipping up a handful of simple blades in T1 using a few different Heat Treats. I am looking for a Handful of people willing to test out the blades and report back. This could possibly be a pass around if everyone wants to try each of the Heat Treats. I would not Expect to get the blades back as thy would be free to you to do with as you please. But I do need you to honestly test these out so if your just looking for a free knife you need to pass on this.

Thanks guys for all your help - JT

seanj

Gold Member
What type of testing do you want to see done? Any specifics? Or just all around use?

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
Nothing specific as I’m not sure the specific use of this steel. But it will be used to make blanks for customers. The blanks will most likely be of the EDC type. So general everyday type tasks. Want to get an idea on your thoughts of toughness and edge retention. I know it’s a rather broad subject but I figure field use will result in the best feed back for the heat treat I’m trying to nail down.

oldmanwilly

Gold Member
JTknives JTknives I often carry fixed blades for edc and general outdoor tasks, however 80% or more of my cutting tasks center around hunting and cooking. Would these tasks fit in with your desired R&D? If so, then I would like to participate in this venture.

seanj

Gold Member
Nothing specific as I’m not sure the specific use of this steel. But it will be used to make blanks for customers. The blanks will most likely be of the EDC type. So general everyday type tasks. Want to get an idea on your thoughts of toughness and edge retention. I know it’s a rather broad subject but I figure field use will result in the best feed back for the heat treat I’m trying to nail down.
Okay. I'd be interested. I could do some of the testing I do for my own knives as well as use it for every day tasks.

I’d be interested in testing one of them for feedback purposes. I like to test the edge of mine by doing some light chopping, cutting cardboard, cutting parachute cord, etc.

Last edited:

Chevelleface

Gold Member
Basic Member
I’d be willing to give you some detailed feedback about edge retention and ease of sharpening

ty_higg

Gold Member
I’d be willing to throw my hat in. I often carry a fixed blade for EDC especially now that I work from home and I feel I could give you some honest feedback after some use. My day to day is typically everything ranging from cardboard cutting, kitchen, etc, to standard outdoor uses. I’d also be willing to do any other tests you’d be looking for specifically to test out the HT.

You should make several blanks with factory HT .I mean just grind them from planner blade as it is ............That would be good comparison between Factory HT and yours. I make many knives from this steel and i like them .I do not HT , I just make knife from that steel .

Cliff Carter Knives

I’m in and can put one through its paces

Plenty to do around my house/woods that will test the durability of the edge/blade

I use a fixed blade for edc around the ranch. I can test one for you. Hay twine just eats blades up and we’re coming up on hay feeding season. I can also use it for castration, cutting rubber hoses, cardboard, rope, etc.

scott kozub

Gold Member
The Only EDC I carry is a small folder and I don't camp but I'd be willing to do some testing. To try to get you some real world feedback I'd also like to pass the knife along to a buddy of mine. This guy does some hard core camping and is very particular about his knives. I think a pass around would be a great idea.

I suggest that you sell these at a discount but as your looking for testing I think your right to give them out to the community. I never sell my first new attempt at a different steel without a few destructive testing sessions.

My biggest concern is the shipping to Canada so if you have enough testers already that are easier to ship to consider me a backup. I'm sure you'll have all kinds of takers.

Hey Jarod, I would certainly be into helping. You have helped me a bunch and I’ll be happy to give it a go.

Scott

darsk20

Gold Member
I would be interested in this, especially as a pass around or any other option.

Typical edc is a fixed blade for food prep, fire prep and light home remodel support.

I'm interested. Since I will be in Colville next week I could return some to you if you like.

I can put it thru a few weeks in the life of a union pipefitter JT! We’re pretty hard on stuff and constantly using the wrong tool for the job definitely helped me with some design changes working in this field

I'd be interested. I've played with t1 in the form of industrial planer blades. While probably tough to grind i could definitely see a place for the steel in knives. Id be more than happy to put one through its paces and report back. I do alot of cardboard cutting at work and cook quite a bit so I definitely am a fan of steels with high levels of edge retention

I would be down if you don’t have enough. I get around five cardboard boxes a day at work and wouldn’t mind cutting them up for you.