1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Freedom Wins in New York - DA Vance & Cuomo Finally Capitulate!!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Critter, May 30, 2019.

1. MattWRog

MattWRog Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Outstanding. Your perseverance paid off. Thanks for your dedication.

2. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Congratulations on your good work.

3. Jesse B.

Jesse B.

Oct 23, 2009
    The eradication of large-scale, authoritarian, systematic stupidity and the triumph of rational thinking over the forces of oppression and the baseless criminalization of innocent people gives me hope.
    Thank you for this.

4. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    This battle is won , but the war ain't over .

4mer_FMF, Lapedog and Jesse B. like this.
  5. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    This is a big win for regular folks who might like to carry a pocket knife. It is especially important to visiting out of town or out of state folks who might carry what they're used to in their state. There is still a 4" blade length limit in effect.

craniotes likes this.
  6. minimize

minimize

Nov 12, 2007
    Can't wait to read the details. Curious to see what is now deemed legal.

7. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    at least 4" covers about 98% of edc knives people would want to carry
    anything bigger really deserves a fixed blade anyway (imho)

8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I'm pretty comfortable with a 4" limit. I assume that would include both folding and fixed bladed knives in NYC. I never personally wanted to carry anything larger than 4" in a folder. Is this ruling only applicable to NYC or state wide?

9. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Awesome!
    Not that I will ever go there again but congrats to the knife lovers of NYC. I will just carry my SOG Centi in my wallet if ever there (1.4" blade). Still no way in hell I would carry any regular pocket knife there. I just don't trust the police there.
    Good job Doug and KnifeRights!

10. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The change removed gravity knives from the definition of illegal weapons from the state law. The 4" and over restriction on carry is a NYC only law. The rest of NY doesn't have a state length restriction.

11. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    That's a fantastic victory @Critter. Congratulations! Now they'll have to just plant drugs on folks like the old days instead of using our hobby to arrest them.

Lapedog likes this.
  12. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I'm glad governor Cuomo got his pee pee slapped, I can think of a couple more that need it

13. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    I would not get too excited. They probably have a plan in the works to somehow eliminate all pocket knives from NYC, like they do with concealed carry for firearms. They are not to be trusted, IMHO.

miltmaldo and scottyj like this.
  14. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Good job.

15. cwsmith17

cwsmith17

Aug 3, 2014
    Great job KnifeRights.org. I am a proud member!!

16. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Knife rights...please come to Canada.

17. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    OMG I cannot believe that this day has actually come. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

18. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    As a Brooklyn native, I’m beyond ecstatic that this has finally happened! Huzzah to all those involved!

19. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    Never get comfortable with any type of oppression, its how the dang laws get out of hand in the first place. Give a milimeter they take 100 miles

Triton likes this.
  20. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Congrats, that's huge!