Fresh off the bench, Damascus Hunter!!

Great Christmas gift for your son Magnumb. My father and I used to gift each other items like this all thru the year, I have some really special knives and guns, and a few other things that all have a story or two behind them. I was one of the lucky kids growing up to have a dad that shared his knowledge and passion for the outdoors with me, and always had one or two "life lessons" to pass along as well . . . . . :)
Good going on you for passing stuff like this along to your next generation.
Be safe.

Thanks JUST1MOR....!

Yep....I'm thinkin' that he'll like it....;). My dad wasn't into either cast nor blast. Seems I picked it up pretty much on my own. Well.......I'm sure my tour in SEA in the USMC in '69 helped to influence me with the "blast" part. Still reload and am into firearms pretty heavy. Not the casual handloader. I shoot some 1,300 rounds on each 3-day trip to MT. every year, lighting up PDogs, yotes and the occasional badger, now and then (plus a few rattlers when given the opportunity). Red mist...........literally......:D:D. Deer and elk each year as well, which is the reason I found this forum in the first place. Reload for all of my firearms, not just the .223's for varmints.

My boy and I are pretty close and gettin' closer all the time. He's been a big help since my several back surgeries as of late. I'm still good to go and won't give up what I love, but I've noticed that the RPM's are windin' down a bit.........:D:D.

I wish that my dad had been so enthused.....it would have been a gas. I did get him into a few steelhead when he turned 60, however. He loved it. He's now succumbed from Alzheimer's and I'm now.....60.

Enjoy it all as often as you can.........seems it all too soon is over, in one way or another.

From what I've ascertained from this forum, seems you try to do that. Good on you.

eeeeeyahhhhh! : another handloader!

If you're ever passing thru Western KenWacky,magnumb.....would be delighted to show you Gnarly's Handloading Emporium And Den Of Little White Prevarications And Audition Hall For Aspiring Pole Dancers!

Loading for all the WSM's & WSSM's....cause that's about as fast as you can run a boolit! without disentegration....or meltdown.......as well as the old standards: .243Win,.270Win,.30-'06....semi-auto's in .40 & .45...and wheelguns in .357 Magnum.

Every bullet in every caliber in the inventory is a hollow-point.....gave everything else away,years ago.
In like a needle; out like a barn door.

As you know,HP's mean: bang;flop.DRT!
Nothing but chunks! ;)

Do you use QUIKLoad? QUIKTarget?

Woooooops....sorry for derailing the thread,gents!

~Gnarly

Gnarly - Heck, it's my knife in this thread...derail away.........:D.

I've got 3 WSM's........two 300's and one 270 in that offering. Don't mind speed much....safely done. The 300's travel at 3,130fps (MV) loaded with.....grs. of RL22, Norma Brass and Fed. 215M's. My pills have recently become either the TSX's or TTSX's. Those 300's are going 3,130fps with 180gr. pills. Does what a 300 WinMag will do with 180's, but in a short action.......gotta like that. The 270WSM is pure death on deer on down out to ungodly ranges (130gr. TTSX). Love my 25-06 as well (100gr. TTSX's).....shot many a deer with the 'ole 25-06, as has my son. Many more to come as well.

I've got a 300 UltraMag as well which shoots the 'ole standard NP in 200gr (RL25). One long range elk cartridge. Not that I would suggest a seasonal diet of such distances, but one nice bull wasn't much taken with this cartridge, or, was taken with this cartridge.....:D. One shot...night, night. For clarification.....I do have use of a 600 yd. range which is where I also proof all of my loads and definitively ascertain drops and such. I feel very fortunate to have this available to me.

I use JBM ballistics.....the looong form. I'm not one to disregard altitude nor elevation when designing a load, then formulating a cheat sheet to be placed on each stock. I hunt from the thickest rain forests to the most open area's a long range shooter could hope for. Having said that, I've read and believe that the average distance big game animals are shot is 70yds. Of the almost 50 bucks I've taken and almost 30 bulls, I'd say that statement reflects more truth than not. But it is best to practice for the inevitable......"SOB....how far is that!!!". Exactly the reason that I own two Leica Geovids....one in 8X and one in 10X (my son hunts with me). Nice to be able to bino something and then just push a button on those same bino's and get a reading up to 1,500 yds. I like it alot..........;).

629 4in. with 300gr. WFNHCGC'd Beartooth Bullets....H110 at 1,250fps. It's a handful, but there are more black bears here than in any other state (by far), except Alaska.....I don't like surprises.

Yep............I'm into it like you. Sinclair International, Weidners, Midsouth, Midway.......I own a bit of each.....:D, as I'm sure that you do.

This knife thing is just an extention of how I choose to roll...............do it right or go home.......;). Concentrcity gauges, Wilson trimmers (Giraud trimmer for my thousands of .223's I shoot each year....what a help!!), every darn gadget that will help me to put the bullet where I want it. Seems I'm not alone in that regard.......:).

Take care Gnarly and if I ever do pass that direction, I'd be more than happy to at least check out the pole dancers in training....they do always try a bit harder.......:thumbup:.

Last edited:
Your next purchase may well be: http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Scroll down,look on the right side of the page: click on 'See how quickLOAD will look on your computer' or something like that....

Best $150 add-on you'll ever attach to your handloading equipment!

GuaranDaymTee it.

I will....thanks. But first......lawn mowing time. Here in WA State, you've gotta make hay when you can!!

I'll check it out a bit later.........thanks again!

Quickload looks like the cat's meow there Gnarly.........:thumbup:. Very much user friendly and I'm thinkin' that there won't be much left to ponder once you purchase this program. I'll be looking into doing that, albeit, the JBM program is free, fairly user friendly and more importantly.....spot on so far. But Quickload let's you explore a bit more........a ballistics/rifle loony thing...............:D:D.

Thanks for the heads-up..........

One quick example: quickLOAD lets you compensate for temperature change,to avoid overpressure.
We usually do load development in the spring & summer,when temperature is,on average, 76*F by our records.
Yet,when deer season rolls around,the average temperature is between 30*F to 40*F here,early a.m. & late p.m.

What works well @ 30*F may (likely) be overpressure @ 76*F.

Longer barrel life,less throat erosion,safety factor,etc.

We figger it's already saved us enough in wear & tear & saving powder,to pay for itself.

I never do load development in the warmer months, 'cuz I don't hunt in warm weather...........:). I choose to do load development when it's between 30 - 45 degrees, which is the happy medium between my deer and elk seasons which are back to back seasons. Deer season generally brings weather in the 45 degree range and elk season it's from 20 - 45 degrees.

Each degree in temperature rise equals very close to +2 fps in MV. If I did load development load today, 70 degrees, and killed my bull in 30 degree weather, given similar altitudes, that bullet would be leaving the muzzle 80 fps faster than when developed......different drops at whatever distances will be experienced.

When developed to a max load at 70 degrees and one takes that same load/rifle to Africa where it's 100 degrees, that resulting 60 fps difference can mean the difference between extremely safe (pressures) and not so much. It can also mean a stuck bolt, which could cost you the animal (or more importantly....a wounded one) and more than a few $ invested in said hunt.

Knowing more about handloading/ballistics is much better than knowing less..........IMHO. These programs go a loooooong towards satisfying my curiosities about such things.

Looks like you covered all the bases with the new stickys, thanks Bill & Chris.
You guys know how to make everyone feel at home.

Thanks Bill..............Wilson said it all......;).

Rifle loonies are no different from any other type of loony. We oftentimes get caught up in our passions.

Now we have a place to do just that.........:thumbup:.

Gnarly ,mag & gang go here i made u all your own little place for you gun reloading topic
HERE: Chit-Chat-About-Guns-Archery-Reloading-Ect?

Ha-Ha, Gnarly got yelled at by the teacher, Gnarly got yelled at by the teacher, Gnarly got caught, Gnarly got caught . . . . . . . . . :D :D :D
Be safe.

I'm feelin' rightfully that I also "got caught" and I do apologize, for my involvement was definitely, at least as much, if not more.

My bad, but thanks to Chris and Bill.....no harm, no foul. Nice touch on their part.......less on mine.

Guys i am not screaming when i write in bold ,fuck im just typing,i like big letters i can see them,PAY NO MIND TO ME

gnarly ,mag & gang go here i made u all your own little place for you gun reloading topic
here: Chit-chat-about-guns-archery-reloading-ect?

ha-ha, gnarly got yelled at by the teacher, gnarly got yelled at by the teacher, gnarly got caught, gnarly got caught . . . . . . . . . :d :d :d
be safe.

bill, get your ass in the coRner for laughing!! Now!! Lmao

I must also apologize for taking off out into left field...way out!

Instead of running me off, BA and Chris have broadened their Forum to include GunNutz.

Will try to stay on track,

~Gnarly

Back