Fresh off the bench

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello people- this is a knife I've just completed. It's of 8mm thick A2, with a linen micarta handle and brass tube pins, heat treated and tumble finished by my good friend, Nathan Carothers. Veg tan leather sheath.

If you don't know the story of Tilikum the orca, you may find it interesting. To me, the story is symbolic of an ongoing moral shift occurring with regards to the way our species sees itself in relation to the natural world- a world that we seem to have decoupled ourselves from since the industrial revolution.

Tilikum the orca started on his sad path of living in tiny pens near where I live, and the word tilikum is indigenous to this area. The movie 'Blackfish' tells the tale.

Tilikum can mean many things, but has to do with describing relations between people, whether it be relatives, a tribe, immediate family and so on. If you're catching my drift, then you might see the irony in this.

This knife and sheath are inspired by the orca, and the name itself is a tragic reference to our callous entitlement to pillage and ransack whatever brings us wealth and power.

onZFwoR.jpg

1Bpgbj0.jpg

q3YvVbB.jpg

hpdj5yc.jpg

HnXPLPm.jpg

WjUUooE.jpg

cs42T6s.jpg

rlE60eB.jpg

gwKJygS.jpg

qa9mvU5.jpg

Thank you for looking.

yeah not really.