Friction folders

Brutus013

BANNED
Are there any production friction folders? I've seen a few custom ones in the $50 range, which is great, but I'm wondering if there are either more custom makers or production made ones in this same price range.

William Henry had some, I think I remember seeing some from Klotzli in one of AG Russells catalogs. I know that William Henry did, played around with one at Country Knives in Lancaster. As for traditional friction folders, I have seen a few customs, just in the Baltimore area. The one I remember was made by Frank McGowan, very nice piece. I've seen articles from time to time on making traditional friction folders in Backwoodsman, and came across an article in Blade, from several years ago, about a Roman friction folder. Many on here would know much more than I.

As far as around 50 bucks, the Backwoodsman articles on making your own would be your best bet.

you may already know about them, but opinels are basically a friction folder with an extra safety measure, and you can still buy the ones without locks. they don't have the tab on the back of the blade to hold them open, but they are a friction folder. i imagine it wouldn't be too hard to modify one to make it more of a traditional friction folder with a tail on it...

You might have to find a maker to make you one. The cost would be a lot more but the FF is great, simple knife.

The spyderco t-mag is kind of a friction folder, since the magnets aren't that strong. Your finger in the chiol keeps it from closing. Spyderco is closing them out on their website for about 25% of the MSRP. Its S30V blade, 3", carbon fiber scales, clip, spyder hole opening. I just got one, fit and finish are excellent.

Anza knives makes a friction folder, I like the svord model better. I recently ordered a custom friction folder from a British maker, Oliver Davison of ORD knives It's in the mail. The only reason I went the custom rout was because of local knife laws. ( 2.5 inches max legal carry.) I also didn't like the way the tail protrudes above the handle on the svord knife, it looks like it would hurt after a while.

Last edited:
There's a few.
John Cohea & Dave Cole both members here & both have sites at blademakers.com.

Hirokai Ohta makes them in damasteel, ATS & carbon laminated blades. The WH legacy is based on his design as I understand.
Dirk Potgieter "oupa" here makes them.
Cheers
Mitch

That looks very nice, but from what I saw they are quite a bit more than $50. I saw them for $145 on his website. It is quite tempting, though, those looks great.

Currently, that may be true. Sorry, I purchased that one a number of year ago when they were less than that.

Just for grins and giggles, here is the one that is my favorite Friction Folder I recieved from Mike in vintage crown stag and hi-carbon damascus..

000_1261.jpg

000_1259.jpg

000_1260.jpg

They really do look nice, maybe they'll just drop in price again. Either way, I might just have to pay the premium.

Very nice Anthony.. Great picture too.
The Rapala is a nice touch. I've got a "few" vintage Rapalas out in the shop. :D

Very nice Anthony.. Great picture too.
The Rapala is a nice touch. I've got a "few" vintage Rapalas out in the shop. :D

Thanks partner.:cool:.

Email question perhaps: How did you do in this years primitive weapon season?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ziptrickhead,

Google it.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Brutus,

I sort of doubt the price will fall. But check eBay and your local secondary market in general. I saw one of Mike's regular FF's go for $60.USD + shipping costs on the Bay less than 6 mos ago.. You never know?. :)

Back