FRIDAY SALE! Twenty 3" EDC2

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
You guys have been clamoring for a big sale that doesn't sell out so quickly, so here's twenty knives. That should last a little while.

Since this is a new pattern we're doing the first sale of it here on the CPK forum. That way I can post it and lock it to give people a chance to read the description without being in a hurry. I'll unlock this at 3:00 eastern time.

This is our second generation 3" EDC, the EDC2. The blade is a tiny tad thicker but the primary grind geometry is the same so the grinds come up a little higher as a result. The blade has less drop and I've pushed the belly of the blade out towards the point a little and we've trimmed down the scale thickness just a little. I'm leaving a little extra meat at the tip. We're also trialing the new shallow S grind on it. The skeletonizing under the scales has been adjusted for the new stock thickness so the weight and balance are practically unchanged.

The 3" EDC was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance, small utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a fully optimized heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts very well, but is durable. They're also lightly hand ground after machining to give it a shallow S grind that is slightly hollow in the center and convex at the shoulders.

Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon. It's thin behind the edge. It is a hard working cutting tool, a tradesman's knife and small woods knife.

It's very light weight.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. Despite its compact size it fills the hand and allows extended hard work without hand fatigue. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 5/32"” 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use (see video). Despite being relatively thin it is very durable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Specs:
Delta 3V, 61-62 HRC, .145” thick at ricasso
Total length 7.6
Blade length 3.3
Weight 4.9 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
.025" BTE
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

Choice of vertical or horizontal Kydex sheath made by Dan Crotts of Dozier Knives. You can add an extra sheath for $50.

Be aware the horizontal sheath has very high retention. You can't remove the knife by pulling straight back, you have to tilt it up at the same time. See video. If you want something that's easy to get in and out of you should choose the vertical pouch sheath.

The sheath pictures are of the old pattern. The new sheaths weren't here in time for pictures. The new sheath design looks like the old sheath but the new rivets are brass colored, not black.

Tell me what scale option you choose and I'll build it. There are twenty knives available in this sale. The knives in the picture are not the knives you will receive.

aNTw4cD.jpg

K2YOVWE.jpg

jAeMtxo.jpg

Hpii15j.jpg

okhWACl.jpg

Ks0y1Y9.jpg

2pSBQoC.jpg

xXA6bTa.jpg

CxM65EB.jpg

13.jpg~original

14.jpg~original

Rather than just take my word for it I made a video:

[video=youtube;zC_-PIFw-KA]

A video illustrating the sheath options:

[video=youtube;HiG_KqF06KY]

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks.
Here are the specs:

Specs:
Delta 3V, 61-62 HRC, .145” thick at ricasso (a little over 1/8")
Total length 7.6
Blade length 3.3
Weight 4.9 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
.025" BTE
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks.

$220 in canvas micarta, natural or black
$230 in OD green micarta
$230 in black or OD green G10
$240 in maroon micarta

Shipping in the USA is $10.
Includes a good kydex sheath, choose vertical or horizontal. An extra sheath is $50

These knives are unusual because they are machined. I do this in my shop on industrial CNC machine tools. A WIP thread documenting my technique can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1048443

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

Jo will contact you via PM or email on Sunday or Monday. Emails though BF often get lost in spam filters. If you don't hear from her by Monday please contact Jo on her PM, or send us an email at carothersknives at g mail dought com

We'll have another batch of these in two weeks, out on the main fixed blade sale area. We'll also start our next pre-order at that time.

Our next preorder, opening on Dec 29th, will be for the first production run of the infamous 12" Behemoth Chopper.

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

Last edited:
one unbuffed green micarta , horizontal sheath .

Last edited:
I'll take one! Green micarta with vertical sheath please.

Last edited:
I’ll take one.

I give up my position. Had Proxy that was in front of my spot.

Last edited:
Just in case.......1 with maroon. Vert sheath.

Last edited:
Back