Photos Frog Lube vs EDCi (corrosion testing)

REK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm in the process of testing many different products after being inspired by the Day at the Range testing... This is one of the most recent! Don't know if you guys care but I love this stuff lol :D

Thought you guys would be interested since these two are pretty common (EDCi is more recent though).

Testing is with a 4,000 ppm salt solution sprayed from a spray bottle. Each 1095 blade was blasted and degreased before application of the oil.

If you are interested in on going testing you can visit the other thread here.

i-SnGnV5L-X4.jpg

i-G5z7ZHX-X4.jpg

Wow! So much for that "miracle" EDCi stuff. Then again, with a huckster like Jim Skelton selling it, is anyone really all that surprised?

Wow! Big difference. Thx for sharing. I have been using froglube for a long time now, still no reason to change:)

I use Breakfree CLP. The original formulation with Teflon. It worked in the Army, it's worked on my personal firearms and it works on my knives as well. Of course, you can eat Froglube....not so much Breakfree CLP. ;)

Last edited:
I use Breakfree CLP. The original formulation with Teflon. It worked in the Army, it's worked on my personal firearms and it works on my knives as well. Of course, you can eat Froglube....not so much Breakfree CLP.
I like the taste of BreakFree:p -- or at least I can't tell if I rinse the blade before cutting foodstuff. Great stuff. I use it on all my guns, knives and fishing gear.

Wow! So much for that "miracle" EDCi stuff. Then again, with a huckster like Jim Skelton selling it, is anyone really all that surprised?
Maybe it works better with freshwater... I'm just testing the harshest conditions (sandblasted blades, 1095, salt spray) :)

A guy in a Canadian knife Facebook group compared these 2 products outdoors and found the same. EDCI coated rusted quickly and Froglub did not.

I’m told by someone who should know that Froglub was developed by a former Navy SEAL. Just a bit of trivia.

hmmmmm I just ordered froglube to test. the EDCI is not protecting my 3V blade as much as I wanted... lets see if the FL is better. Thanks!!

Back