1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Photos From Himalayan Imports or No?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by KBKA, Jun 29, 2019.

1. KBKA

KBKA

Jun 29, 2019
    Found this kukri but cannot tell exactly if its a HI or not.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    For better input, please show a picture of the other side.

3. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    KBKA likes this.
  4. Berkley

Berkley

May 5, 1999
    AFAIK, no one other than Himalayan Imports Shop 1 ever used that scrolled buttcap. "Shop 1 makes a two piece scrolled buttcap -- pretty and fairly strong but not strong enough and it is subject to dents if you bang it and it tends to loosen with heavy use. A flat plate is stronger and less likely to give problems and that's why we do it that way in shop 2 where Kami Sherpa is the boss. In shop 1 we are on a limited partnership basis and my Gurkha brother who owns the shop loves the scrolled buttcap we designed together and does not want to change to the flat plate." - Bill Martino, March 4, 1999.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    George Azar and KBKA like this.
  5. KBKA

KBKA

Jun 29, 2019
    Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I tried looking it up myself but could not find much.

6. KBKA

KBKA

Jun 29, 2019
    Here are more pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. KBKA

KBKA

Jun 29, 2019
    Hey, thanks for the reply. What is this "flat plate" that they mentioned? Is it referring to the buttcap or tang?

8. Berkley

Berkley

May 5, 1999
    The "flat plate" is the standard buttplate consisting of a single sheet of metal, with a keeper and peened tang.
    [​IMG]

KBKA likes this.
  9. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Only a few HI models still come with the non-flat butt plate. They look pretty, but Uncle Bill was right 20 years ago, the flat plate is a stonger set up.

That said, my Pen Knife (before it was stolen) and a few others with the scrolled plate have held up just fine.

KBKA and George Azar like this.
  10. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    The HI Salyan Special model also comes with the engraved non-flat butt plate. This is the model that has an odd-looking cho with a circular hole:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KBKA likes this.
  11. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Two Piece? So is the flat part soldered to the scrolled part? Im assuming theres wood all underneath that scrolled piece with a bunch of laha? I thought the whole thing was one piece. Two piece makes more sense. I wondered how they formed that piece without stretching it into oblivion?

George Azar likes this.