From Maniago

Thanks for showing all your knives friends!! Maniago produces quite an array of great knives!!
Nice coincidence with your Tuesday thread, Jack Black Jack Black !!:thumbsup:
The Old Bears are available in Carbon and Stainless steels! The lock is very secure, the sliding bar being supported on both sides of the groove when deployed. I am sure if you soaked the knife in water, an unusual activity, it might try to seize or grab the blade, making it hard to pivot within the wood handle. Oil the Joint!!;)
2020 BFs;
BF 2020 1.jpg BF 2020 2.jpg
The "Maniago" etch is so small, I forgot!!:p

Last edited:
TA5kTz2.jpg

Here's a roundup of my traditional Maniago knives, I've got a few others that shall not be shown here due to, "features" that they have, one of my favorites of which is an AG Russell one hand knife with beautiful burl covers. The Old Bear is intriguing because they cleverly designed a new type lock ring, which as Charlie said, is supported by brass on both sides of the relieved groove which seems to be rock solid and bullet proof. I believe that the wood would fail before this lock design would. I haven't carried this one really, I got it because I was curious about the lock ring, and am glad I did, It's a comfortable knife in hand, and the lock is very intuitive to operate, but I have so many other knives to carry, I've carried the Lionsteel sheepfoot for about a year and a half, and these days I mostly have the CK Viper in my pocket, I love the M390 steels edge retention and rust resistance, and the firm and smooth action inspires confidence in use. I have never had a dud of any knives produced in Maniago to date, all have been top notch quality at the price point they had.

In October last year I bought this CEM Cutlery Agricultural Knife made in Maniago. Carbon steel 3" sheepsfoot (although the seller advertised it as stainless) in a 4" bubinga handle. Inexpensive, but very solidly-made knife, with some imperfections, of course. If I'd had it longer, it may have been my Knife of the Year for 2020.
ag.mark.closed.jpg
ag.mark.Vflat.jpg

- GT

Inexpensive knives from a very traditional Cutlery town; Maniago!!
Many great cutlery stories have begun in this city!! Imperial Cutlery for one!!!
Olive wood handles, these take-offs on a twist-lock friction folder are nicely done!
I had to buy all three sizes - they cost altogether, much less than one GEC!!:eek:;)
View attachment 1515881 View attachment 1515882
If you have a knife or a story from Maniago, please post here!!:rolleyes:

Good looking knives, Charlie! :thumbsup: Are the blades ground nice and thin like an Opinel? I might have to pick one up in carbon steel to try out.

Do you know the sizes of the three you have? Looks like they make them in five sizes:

Extra Small (3 1/2” closed)
Small (3 7/8” closed)
Medium (4 1/3” closed)
Large (4 3/4” closed)
Extra Large (5 1/8” closed)​

That looks nice and useful. I'll have to be on the look out for one of those.

I didn't realize CK was in Maniago. Here's the twin pruner and Maserin you sent me.
mRkKuqZ.jpg

I really like that pattern, but didn't realise Antonini did a version :cool: They're not based there Rachel, but their knives are made there :) Nice to see your Pruner, I'd forgotten about the Soddie (Maserin call it a Marinera I think) :) :thumbsup:

Here's mine:

Rich

I've had a couple of those :) :thumbsup:

While not from Maniago, I wanted to compare these horticultural knives with Rachel's from that hallowed Italian Municipio!!
Rachel's knives;Antonini rachel.jpg Gordon's (German)Gordons knives 1.jpg Gordons knives 2.jpg
Professional-grade horticultural knives, while roughly fitted in some cases, have a feature in common; recessed pivots!! Note how far the liner projects past the pivot!!
This allows extra length of, usually thick, liner to extend onto the open knife's tang giving the pivot extra support against twisting and loosening!!
Because the knives are engaged in multiple cuts at a time, they can develop "slop" in the pivot, and this helps to prevent wobble!!

Back