Frost Cutlery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
any thoughts on the Frost Bear Hunter?

dunno about the bear hunter... but since i was slogging through the flea market this morning, i found a Frost 'Big Game Reserve' w/a custom sheath for $15... nicely pinned pakka wood handle... i wouldn't call the knife junk - inexpensive, yes... most likely 440... quite sharp... feels very good in the hand w/the jimping and thumb hole... full tang w/lanyard hole:

frost_bg.jpg

i'll use it as a cheap bush/hiking/fishing knife and won't feel bad if it gets lost or drops over the side at the pier - so overall, a pretty good deal

I was at the flea market today and the knife tables drew me in...Looking at the small tradional folder models that Frost sells very cheap...Ended up leaving with a bullet trapper with bone handles and 440 stainless blades..A mini muskrat also 440 stainless blades,and a Wrangler 2 stockmam with Solinger steel marked on the main blade..All three cost me $9.00 and are sharp,snap open and look good..Maybe Frost has improved on the quality of their tradional styles in the last 7 years..

I did make an offer on two Case knives earlier in the day...One was a yellow handled medium stockman priced $57.00... The other was a yellow handled medium trapper for $59.00...Guy wouldn't move on his price and sounded a little offended at my $45.00 offer for either one...

It appears that you got a good deal on your purchase...the sheath is NOT the one that comes with that particular model...the sheath that comes with your knife is "ballistic style" meaning they are made of el crapo nylon, and the strap that holds the handle to the sheath has VELCRO to hold the knife in! I really do like their Hen and Rooster fixed blades, and the sheaths are really nice considering most mass produced knives, and You CAN get a good deal if you catch them on sale at te Cutlery Corner T.V. Show or website. Also for just a good working knife,their Steel Warrior brand made with 440 stainless steel with a rockwell test of 56-58 are good little knives when you can buy them for around $10. The DO have their share of "Throw Aways" but maybe we shouldn't therow the baby out with the bathwater. The customer service dept. also is very helpful. Just my humble opinion...

Actually this thread is 10 years old started in 2002. Wow. Somebody must be doing searches on Frost Cutlery of Chattanooga. Yes, they are mostly junk, but I have a couple that aren't half bad and are sort of like Rough Rider slip joints. I bought a couple a year or so ago just to take a close look at them, but they were carefully chosen after looking at probably 10 of each I purchased. Both are the Ocoee River series and have brass liners.

I received a large bowie style with a survival compartment with compass matches etc, has a saw blade type spine.. ill be abusing it this spring doing some bushcraft, don't worry ill carry a backup when it fight or flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back