Fucina mini belt grinder

REK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This mini belt grinder looks like it could be really nifty...it's a 1x30 but set up like a mini 2x72 with a small wheel attachment, tilting tool rest, tefc motor, vfd, etc. @DeadboxHero brought to my attention.

Looks like the 110v version goes 400-3300sfpm when I do the calculations.

Curious if anyone has one and any feedback...

1x30beltgrinder._10.jpg

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that, Josh. I saw your quest for a travel grinder in another thread, and wanted to mention this one that I got a week ago. Then again, for you it really seems like a toy, so I was a little embarrassed :) It seems to do its job for me though, at least for a first pass - but I have only used it on kitchen knives so far. Nice to have a small grinder for me, so I can actually use it in the kitchen.

i-FjMdqTb-X4.jpg

Huanyu Mini Belt sander, $139 on Amazon, 30mm * 533mm belts (available on Amz up to 1000). Pretty robust and self-maintainable - but again, I'm just a hobbyist, so don't take my word for it. Oh, and there is a speed adjustment knob close to the motor, not visible in the photo.

Seems similar enough to the Fucina grinder to post here ...

The Hinderer is just there for scale, no need to sharpen that one yet.

Roland.

Funny you should mention that, Josh. I saw your quest for a travel grinder in another thread, and wanted to mention this one that I got a week ago. Then again, for you it really seems like a toy, so I was a little embarrassed :) It seems to do its job for me though, at least for a first pass - but I have only used it on kitchen knives so far. Nice to have a small grinder for me, so I can actually use it in the kitchen.

i-FjMdqTb-X4.jpg

Huanyu Mini Belt sander, $139 on Amazon, 30mm * 533mm belts (available on Amz up to 1000). Pretty robust and self-maintainable - but again, I'm just a hobbyist, so don't take my word for it. Oh, and there is a speed adjustment knob close to the motor, not visible in the photo.

Seems similar enough to the Fucina grinder to post here ...

The Hinderer is just there for scale, no need to sharpen that one yet.

Roland.

That's a nifty little grinder as well! is the motor and vfd enclosed to where dust won't be an issue after a while? also, does the tool rest tilt?

No tilt, Josh. And since I use it just gently for sharpening, not much dust either.

Motor control is completely enclosed. From this perspective, Belt goes counter-clock, so the table is of not much use for knives. But it’s DC, planning on reversing the polarity of the motor, if possible.

No tilt, Josh. And since I use it just gently for sharpening, not much dust either.

Motor control is completely enclosed.
very cool, not a bad deal at all!

Back