fuel for Jon-E and Zippo type handwarmers?

[video=youtube;pXI1PDTp5gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXI1PDTp5gk[/video]

Get Ronsonol lighter fluid in yellow container. Way cheaper then zippo branded container. The Ronsonol is made by zippo just packaged diffrent.

I have one of those zippo handwarmers. It worked once and after it almost set my hands on fire, singed the hair totally off the back of one of my hands, I decided to stop using it. I got some Little Hotties, instead.

How about Kerosene?
No commercial grade kerosene will not burn in a zippo so I would have to say no to it working in the hand warmer. Kerosene has a much lower flash rate than naphtha and also evaporates a lot slower. A zippo works by burning the evaporated gases from naphtha fluid. The cotton portion of the wick allows the heat to travel down it into the fuel tank heating the cotton until the fuel evaporates and is then burned. Kerosene takes a lot more heat to evaporate which leads to the reason why I don't think it would work in the hand warmer.

Lighter fuels are 99.99% Naptha. If youre looking for a fuel replacement VM&P Naptha would work. But realize you are taking chances.
Why?....because it's a volatile. Every fuel listed so far is. They are all flammable. They all will explode or burn if due care and diligence is not practiced.

Zippo and Ronsonol aren't what they used to be. Ever since zippo had to conform to California EPA standard and remove the tolulene. It burns and evaps quicker, meaning that you refill more often.

stainless90 said:
None of those would be safe to use. The only possibility might be coleman fuel as they are both light petroleum distillates. I know coleman fuel works in a zippo lighter but the smell is even worse than zippo fluid. Pretty much any naptha based fuel should work in theory.

Very dangerous theory. Some will just explode. Some will explode and Napalm you.

Lighter fuels are 99.99% Naptha. If youre looking for a fuel replacement VM&P Naptha would work. But realize you are taking chances.
Why?....because it's a volatile. Every fuel listed so far is. They are all flammable. They all will explode or burn if due care and diligence is not practiced.

Zippo and Ronsonol aren't what they used to be. Ever since zippo had to conform to California EPA standard and remove the tolulene. It burns and evaps quicker, meaning that you refill more often.

Very dangerous theory. Some will just explode. Some will explode and Napalm you.
I agree completely, don't risk your life trying to save yourself a few dollars but in regards to the zippo I tested it for a worst case scenario to see what will and will not work.

I am going with one of these. Not very convenient, but it beats miserable.

10408890.jpg

Back