Full Tang 819/119

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Makael, Nov 18, 2019.

Should the full tang 819 make a return?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2019.
  1. Heck yes. I'm in!!

23 vote(s)
    95.8%
  2. Nah, not sure if it will be a success.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bruce Allen, thank you for the photo of the series. Wish a sheath was in with them.
    I owned the 105 and have held the 103. DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  2. Der Verminator

Der Verminator

Aug 23, 2019
    Interesting.

I see this beautiful 819 as an art object but I think I'd like it even better if it had a pommel and a real finger guard.

Flat knives are, to put it flatly, boring.

At least this 819 does have some shape and character to the blade, unlike some more recent full tang offerings like the 104 Compadre (which is just a flat, stamped out, sharpened piece of steel with a couple of slabs screwed on the handle).

Not much artistry or effort in making something like that.

Some say "handsome is as handsome does," but that doesn't do it for me.

3. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Thats exactly what it meant. Mr positive headed in a different direction on it. I dont know why Buck wouldnt sell 1000. I dont know why the Avg Joe wouldnt buy a full tang 119 style of knife. I dont know why most collectors would like it but never buy it? LMAO.

Tecate, Bluf6, sassafrassdogs and 2 others like this.
  4. DOGPOUND77

DOGPOUND77 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think these were sample knives---819 and 805 -- both done with 420hc steel--very cool...
    DSC02596.JPG DSC02597.JPG

5. Der Verminator

Der Verminator

Aug 23, 2019
    So you don't know why they wouldn't......

But do you know why they would?

Because I don't know why the average Joe would buy a knife as expensive as the 819.

Average Joes buy user knives as a general rule.......and they think the ordinary 119 is already pretty darn expensive.

See where I'm coming from now?

6. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    The 124 is a full tang knife done right. This one is not IMHO. I would rather see a 119 made like a 124.

st8yd and Der Verminator like this.
  7. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    How do you know what people find expensive. Thats your opinion. Not the opinion of everyone else. the 119 is one of best values out there for 50 bucks. Quit stirring the pot.

8. Der Verminator

Der Verminator

Aug 23, 2019
    That's what I was getting at when I said that I'd like it even better if it had a pommel and a real finger guard.

Flat knives are, to put it flatly, boring.

The difference is that this 819 does have some shape and character to the blade, unlike some more recent full tang offerings like the 104 Compadre (which is just a flat, stamped out, sharpened slab of steel with a couple of flat pieces of laminate or plastic screwed on the handle).

Not much artistry or effort (or labor cost) in making something like that.

So different from the 124.

9. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    The grind is beautiful on it. Something you dont see too much, Checkered Scales, Lanyard, custom sheath.
    [​IMG]

Bluf6, jmh33, sassafrassdogs and 5 others like this.
  10. Der Verminator

Der Verminator

Aug 23, 2019
    I am of the opinion that I know as much as you. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.

Although I'm not too sure of your price on the 119. I was in Runnings yesterday and they were selling them to the average Joe for $89.95.

Around here..........Mr. Joe Average finds that expensive.

11. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    no doubt it is beautifully done. The checking on the grips is almost like what you would expect on a 1911. the grind lines are graceful and the fit and finish is very good.

I’m just not a fan of that construction style and it is not what Buck is known for. People who like that style of knife might not be looking a Buck knives at all. Plus I’m not sure they’d pay for that level of fit and finish. I think it would be a tough market to break into.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    sassafrassdogs likes this.
  12. Grantard

Grantard

Oct 4, 2014
    Thats a real beauty Makael. To my untrained eye it looks like a much more elegant, stretched out mesa/endeavor. I wonder if that was the inspiration for those models..

13. sv4

sv4

Feb 13, 2014
    Beautiful knife, Makael. I'm envious :thumbsup:

DOGPOUND77, Tecate and jbmonkey like this.
  14. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    very nice. you and Mak do find all the best stuff. like to see those in production, or maybe a 5160 or cpm154 steel version of them, just cause.

15. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    The 819 is lighter than a 119. Feels wonderful in hand. Too bad. This knife shouldn't be used, but would love to purchase a std production model and use without worry.

16. Bruce Allen

Bruce Allen Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2018
    I have the sheaths and the boxes but chose not to display the sheaths as it would be a huge shadow box. Limited wall space.

jbmonkey likes this.