Full tangs & damascus

Quick question -

I just paid an obscenely low price for a plate of 3/16" random damascus. Being the pragmatic type, and looking to be as frugal as possible, I'm thinking of cutting it down in to 4" bars, and welding some 1018 to the back end of it for the handle end. So, that leads to the question; what are your opinions on the matter? I know MRL or AC used to sell blade stock like this when the old Parker Edwards (?) factory closed up, and was just wondering if this was generally an accepted practice or not.

Thanks guys,

Darryl

This is a fairly common practice on stick tang knvies. I think the general consensus is that you should use the same steel for your tang as one of the steels used in the damascus. And you have to know what your doing on the welding. If you do a search, some guys went into pretty good detail on methods that work well.

You saying full tang means to me not a hidden tang. If that be the case the spine of the handle should be that of the blade (correct?). It also means you will be etching all the blade, exposed tang areas included.

RL

Roger,

The steel is 5160/1018, and I'm looking at welding 1018 to the butt end for the handle. This will be 'full tang' in the sense of a full bit of steel through the middle of the wood.

Darryl

Hidden, or stick, tang then. Sorry for butting in on that. It just struck me that you ment a full tang in the sense that we usually think of them.

RL

If that steel is from Brad Vice (Alabama precision tool),you will be pleased.It hardens better than you would think. Weld some 1030 on for the tang and it matches well.Remember to anneal it after the weld.I have been using Brad''s damascus for a while.It is ridiculously cheap,and looks good finished.I call it "simple damascus",when I sell a blade made from it.It has to be kept from rust,though.

This my personal opinion, because there are those that do it both ways and so have I.

I don't think a full tang should be welded. There's something negative about it. What I have started doing on stick tangs is making a bridal joint about an inch back. After I have a good joint, I weld it. Kinda like a belt and suspenders.

This is going to be a full scale / slab tang. I already have a few blades done in this fashion, and was just going for the general impression from the crowd. The other thread there seemed pretty loaded with misunderstandings, but was a good read.

Thanks all,

Darryl

I make a lot of full-tang knives from expensive damascus, and long ago made the decision to just pay the juice and allow half of it to be covered up with handle scales.

This decision was easy to come to after I made a knife with a welded tang, and put the finest walrus ivory I have ever seen on it. Had it magnafluxed, and there was a crack in the weld. Never again.

Back