fullered folders

i do dig the look of it but in reading about the original purpose (i remembered my old man calling it a blood groove which it totally was not for that) i guess it was to strengthen the ridge above it, which seems counterintuitive but turns out is based in engineering.

Close. The original purpose of a fuller was to stiffen a sword.

Marbles brought the concept of a indentation to a hunting knife blade on their original "Ideal" model. It was a wide indentation and was there so that the blade would line up on a sharpening stone at the correct angle. They called it their "ideal" blade. From there the indentation got reinterpreted and narrowed back to look like a fuller on a sword. As such it became cosmetic on a knife blade. And it still is. Below I have referenced a post from Bernard Levine. It's not the only time he mentioned it.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/marbles-haines-hunting-knife-on-ebay.957281/#post-10889148

Since it was mentioned already in post #3 ....

i-Wjt8zVm-X3.jpg

Then there is this one ... Nail nick or fuller ? My favorite knife, BTW.

i-GKn4SfP-X3.jpg

Roland.

Last edited:
i do dig the look of it but in reading about the original purpose (i remembered my old man calling it a blood groove which it totally was not for that) i guess it was to strengthen the ridge above it, which seems counterintuitive but turns out is based in engineering.

Adding a fuller, strictly speaking, does not strengthen anything. It was originally a way to not have steel in a place on swords where it didn't matter as much (ie. the centerline of the sword, where it is needed less). Essentially, for a forged sword, more of the steel could go to where it was needed, resulting in a more efficient and strong sword by mass, as well as allowing for a stiffer sword by mass. A fuller was a design element (incorporated into the design of the blade at the start) by which a stronger/stiffer sword could be forged with a set amount of mass, but that's different from grinding a fuller into a finished blade.

The common example of an I-beam "adding strength" is a misunderstanding of what is occurring here. A solid beam with the same outer dimensions as an I-beam is stronger than the I-beam in every respect, particularly along the weak axis of the I-beam. However, the solid beam weighs a lot more and has more in the way of materials and labor costs, so that's why you don't see solid beams in structural design as often.

Grinding a fuller into a finished folding knife blade made by stock removal does not make it stronger. However, it might not make it significantly weaker proportional to how much lighter the fullered blade is, depending on how you do it and in which directions it needs to be strong. The fullers on modern pocket knives are entirely for the sake of aesthetics, or in rare cases to allow for a way of opening the knife.

Last edited:
dude thank you for this marred! what a great explanation. admittedly i really do just love the aesthetics of them, and variations on the idea. i really like when thumb holes and modified thumb holes don’t pass thru, creating that look. sort of like a roberts slim utility etc.

Adding a fuller, strictly speaking, does not strengthen anything. It was originally a way to not have steel in a place on swords where it didn't matter as much (ie. the centerline of the sword, where it is needed less). Essentially, for a forged sword, more of the steel could go to where it was needed, resulting in a more efficient and strong sword by mass, as well as allowing for a stiffer sword by mass. A fuller was a design element (incorporated into the design of the blade at the start) by which a stronger/stiffer sword could be forged with a set amount of mass, but that's different from grinding a fuller into a finished blade.

The common example of an I-beam "adding strength" is a misunderstanding of what is occurring here. A solid beam with the same outer dimensions as an I-beam is stronger than the I-beam in every respect, particularly along the weak axis of the I-beam. However, the solid beam weighs a lot more and has more in the way of materials and labor costs, so that's why you don't see solid beams in structural design as often.

Grinding a fuller into a finished folding knife blade made by stock removal does not make it stronger. However, it might not make it significantly weaker proportional to how much lighter the fullered blade is, depending on how you do it and in which directions it needs to be strong. The fullers on modern pocket knives are entirely for the sake of aesthetics, or in rare cases to allow for a way of opening the knife.

Back