Fun cheap blade to patina

Opinel carbon steel blades. Done several of these myself take a wonderful patina

:thumbsup:
I had exactly the same thought. Opinel's 'carbone' blades in XC90 steel seem to respond very easily to experimenting with patina. A while back, after thinning, polishing & sharpening mine, I'd tested the edge by slicing some grapes (red seedless), and got some very interesting & vivid patina in doing so. Ruins the taste of the grapes, though... :D

:thumbsup:
I had exactly the same thought. Opinel's 'carbone' blades in XC90 steel seem to respond very easily to experimenting with patina. A while back, after thinning, polishing & sharpening mine, I'd tested the edge by slicing some grapes (red seedless), and got some very interesting & vivid patina in doing so. Ruins the taste of the grapes, though... :D
My friend used grapes too on a small condor fixed blade it turned out awesome.

Maybe a patina blade thread? I would like to see some pics of what you guys are talking about.

Maybe a patina blade thread? I would like to see some pics of what you guys are talking about.

I went looking for the examples I have seen here but I think much of the good stuff was destroyed by PhotoBucket stopping access to linked photos.

Here is a YouTube that might give you an idea of what is possible. There have been many and better patterns here on Blade Forums; just start searching.
PS: I haven't done any patterns but I have patinaed a few to just darken and color the blades. Nectarine works well for me as does fresh tomato.

Last edited:
Back