Funny(?) Story

BP_

Platinum Member
Maybe I’m just crazy for assuming. I’ll let you all be the judge. Wrinkled my forehead in confusion a little.

Emailed Spyderco about getting a factory replacement clip for my GB2. The response I got was, “I don’t know what GB2 is referring to, but if you send us a picture of your knife we can tell you where you can go buy a clip.”

2 things. One, Spyderco doesn’t sell factory clips?? Interesting. Two, how does a Spyderco employee not know what a GB2 is, or what I could possibly be referring to? You can literally google “Spyderco GB2” and every result is associated somehow with the GB2. Also interesting.

Am I just crazy, or what? (Watch yourselves answering that... :D:p:rolleyes:)

Had to have been a new guy. He emailed back apologizing for not knowing, and offered to send me a clip for free. I do love Spyderco. That was just a funny interaction I felt like sharing :)

Well, personally, I wouldn't assume any one opening the mail at any company knows anything about what I am talking about and would include as much info as necessary to make my request for "customer service" as detailed as possible.

So, I would not have referred to the knife as only "GB2" but would have identified it as a "Bradley 2 Folder Carbon Fiber (Model#: C1134F2), as it is described on their website.

Note that even though we "fans" know what a GB2 is, there is no reference to GB2 or even Gayle in this model identification. So, it is NOT surprising to me that someone sorting thru the customer service requests might not know what you were talking about.

Also FYI, based on my prior experience w/Spyderco "customer service," there are only 2 full time employees who do the repair work and they may be "too busy" to answer the phone, let alone sort thru the mail, which means that someone less knowledgeable about Spyderco's product line would probably do the job.

So, it is best to be as explicit and detailed as possible when making a service request to Spyderco (or any other company).

Well, personally, I wouldn't assume any one opening the mail at any company knows anything about what I am talking about and would include as much info as necessary to make my request for "customer service" as detailed as possible.

So, I would not have referred to the knife as only "GB2" but would have identified it as a "Bradley 2 Folder Carbon Fiber (Model#: C1134F2), as it is described on their website.

Note that even though we "fans" know what a GB2 is, there is no reference to GB2 or even Gayle in this model identification. So, it is NOT surprising to me that someone sorting thru the customer service requests might not know what you were talking about.

Also FYI, based on my prior experience w/Spyderco "customer service," there are only 2 full time employees who do the repair work and they may be "too busy" to answer the phone, let alone sort thru the mail, which means that someone less knowledgeable about Spyderco's product line would probably do the job.

So, it is best to be as explicit and detailed as possible when making a service request to Spyderco (or any other company).

Agreed, the more info you give, the better result you will always receive.

I just found it a little amusing and confusing that a knife industry person didn’t know, and wouldn’t ask or google, before replying to a customer. As a person that works with customers and vendors, though, I do get it. Could have been just about anything in reality. But since it was specific to Spyderco, I thought it was a bit amusing.

I used to work for a company that manufactured and sold assembled products that you could compare to the knife industry, the manufacturing and repair department workers often did not know the name of the products but if you showed it to them they would know exactly what you were talking about, how it functioned, and how to fix it.

That being said it is a little unfortunate that someone working customer service would not know the shorthand for one of their more popular products. But as a rule of thumb I always like to be extremely cordial and descriptive in my emails with CS.

Reactions: BP_
Back